Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Out of the Mouths of Babes


Every once in awhile, I like to share some of my happiest moments as a teacher, the times when I’m interacting in some way with my students. In an earlier piece I discussed the use of journaling in an ESL class. Aside from being a useful tool for teaching English to speakers of other languages, the practice can be amusing for the teacher. Towards the end of the year, my class puts together a magazine, a portfolio of sorts, and we always start by revisiting ideas taken from the journals they'd been writing in all year. Going through them, I was reminded by how entertaining some of their answers can be, and I thought I'd share some of them here.

Throughout the school year, I pose questions to my students for them to answer in their journal. Sometimes the questions are related to something we've been working on in class, while others are just posed to get their thought processes juices flowing (in English). As they say, kids say the darndest things...and my students are no exception...

Here are some of my queries and some of their witty, profound and sometimes comical responses:

Out of the Mouths of Babes, Part 8

No comments:

Post a Comment