Thursday, March 3, 2011

Song of the Day - Dido's "Here With me"

I've been really trying hard to get these out in the morning, but today was one of those days where I just didn't have the time. If I had done so this morning, it probably would have been a Beyonce song chosen for today's "Song of the Day," as I listened to her last night and this morning in the car. At the moment, however, I'm in a different place, having just woken up from a nap after a rough dentist appointment. I'm having one of those moments and listening to the kind of stuff that feeds my sorrows. I wish they would just go away!



Dido is one of my favorite balladeers. Though the British singer has had several hits here in the US, I know her best from the various "Chill" albums I have. For those of you who don't know "chill", sometimes called "lounge", music, it's the perfect kind of music for playing in the background when you have company or for those times when you need to be soothed by relaxing sounds.

Chill songs are usually remixed versions of original songs, reworked by disc jockeys and producers to give them a late night feel. If you ever want to give chill music a try, I highly recommend it. There are plenty of compilations out there to choose from. Just type the word "chill" in your search and you'll be sure to find some.

I actually prefer the chill version of this Dido song, but I wasn't able to find it on YouTube. It's pretty close to the original anyway, which is included here, only better. (That one can be found on a CD called "Ultra Chilled.") This song is so sad to me, especially the chorus:

Oh I am what I am
I'll do what I want
But I can't hide
I won't go
I won't sleep
I can't breathe
Until you're resting here with me
I won't leave
I can't hide
I cannot be
Until you're resting here with me


Take a listen to Dido's "Here With Me," today's "Song of the Day."

No comments:

Post a Comment