Thursday, March 31, 2011

Song of the Day - Low - Flo Rida



To me, hip hop or rap music is thought of too narrowly. As with any other genre of music there are plenty of sub-genres of hip hop. Now I used to love rap music way back when it first started out with acts like Run DMC, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, LL Cool J and so many others. Since then rap has evolved in a big way and I can say with certainty that there's a lot of rap I don't like.

My favorite kind of hip hop music is what I like to call rap/dance. You know, the kind of rap you hear in the club and that's great to dance to. One of my best hitting articles of all time on Y!CN is Top Ten Rap/Dance Songs of All Time. It's full of great stuff like Montell Jordan's "This is How We Do It," "It Takes Two" by Rob Base, "Baby Got Back" by Sir-Mix-a-Lot and more. These are great songs that are nothing but fun!

"Apple bottom jeans, boots with the fur,
the whole club was lookin at her..."


One of the more recent stars to make music in this genre is an artist called Flo Rida. Flo makes songs that are heavy on the dance beat, with raps as the vocals. His recent hit "Club Can't Even Handle Me" was a smash last summer and this one was his debut single back in 2008. I used the lyrics in a Johnny Driver piece once (Kona and Johnny shared a love of dance/rap!) and it's always a fun listen. So check out today's "Song of the Day," "Low" by Flo Rida:

No comments:

Post a Comment