Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Song of the Day - A Double Dose of Mariah


I'm not really sure exactly whatever happened to Mariah Carey. I had always been a fan of hers and I have all of her CD's up until her 2005 album "The Emancipation of Mimi." Though she followed that one up with two more since then, I'd hardly taken notice. I don't even think I know one song from her last one, 2009's "Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel." I guess her star has faded much like that of another old favorite of mine, Janet Jackson.

Anyway, back in the day Mariah was hot, and she had a lot of great songs, both slow and fast. Her first, 'Vision of Love,' was a magnificent, soulful ballad that introduced the world to her powerful pipes. Of course, my favorites are the ones that are more up tempo, songs like 'Emotions,' 'Heartbreaker,' and 'Make it Happen.' Mariah always had a knack for making dance-friendly pop tunes that were always catchy and fun.

When I decided to honor Mariah Carey with a "Song of the Day," I couldn't choose between my two favorites, and so today's award is a double dose of my two favorite Mariah Carey songs.

The first, 'Fantasy,' is special in two ways. First off, its music track is sampled from the Tom Tom Club's classic, 'Genius of Love,' and so its got a great base to start with. Second, the video for 'Fantasy' was shot at one of my favorite places: Westchester County's Rye Playland. Much of the footage in the video was shot from the very first roller coaster I ever rode, the Dragon Coaster, which gives me two of my favorite things in the same video:music and coasters. They played this song at Splash last night and I got to relive the pleasure of 'Fantasy.' Now it's your turn:


Fantasy - null


The second Mariah song is my very favorite. This one's called 'Dreamlover,' and to me it just oozes sunshine. Take a look, a listen and enjoy:


Dreamlover - Mariah Carey: Greatest Hits



No comments:

Post a Comment