Friday, May 13, 2011

May 13th, 2011 - What's up?

Hello everyone! It’s been awhile since I’ve written a daily post and so I thought I’d jump in here between the letters “U” and “V” to write one. Spring is flying by and summer’s just around the corner. The nice weather sure does make everything seem rosier, doesn’t it? The windows are open and the warm night air feels good inside the house. Even though I pay the price with my allergies, I just can’t help keeping them open!

Calm before the evening’s party

Right now I’m listening to 4 Non Blondes’ classic song; ‘What’s Up’ and feeling kind of mellow from it. That’s okay, though, because in a little while I’m going to jump in the shower to get ready to go out dancing. I think tonight will be Da Bunk, which is nice and close. I hope its good cause I need to have a good time after a long work week.



Feelin’ good, feelin’ happy, feelin' alright

I have to give myself kudos for this new attitude of mine. I actually think that working on the “Keys to Life” series has really made me look at things in a different way and made my daily life better in the process. Of course, the keys are not mine originally, but I’ve adapted them to life from my own experiences and I do wholeheartedly believe in them.

I plan to do either a blog post or a Y!CN piece once the series is done to examine how closely I follow all of the keys. A little writing therapy…I think it will help me even further to clarify my own life and make it even better. As I’ve gone along I’ve tried to keep the keys in mind as I go through my days and it’s definitely helped.

The last one, ‘expect bliss,’ has given me a newfound optimism. I referred to the popular book, “The Secret,” in it and in doing so I’ve reminded myself that attitude is what makes or breaks you in life. Believing in the inevitable goodness of your life makes for a better person!

Looking forward to expected bliss…

So even though I still have my ups and downs, I keep trying to come around to expecting bliss and the down periods don’t seem so long. I’m sure the time of year has a lot to do with it, but I’ll take whatever help I can get to give me optimism. I’ve finally got some things to look forward to, which is important to being happy I think.

Memorial Day is just two weeks away and once again the Fire Island season is here. I am so looking forward to spending time there, meeting new people and having a good time. I may even try and stay over a couple of times. Who knows what the summer in FI will bring? After the crappy winter I’ve had, I sure need it and I definitely deserve it!.

I’m also planning a possible trip to Colorado to see my good pal Kona. I missed her when she came here over the winter and since she won’t be back here for a long, long time I figured I might just take a flight and go see her for a week or two. I’ve never been to Colorado and so that’ll be cool. I’ve heard it’s beautiful out there in the Rockies.

Another good buddy of mine, Amy, will be flying in from Switzerland in August. She’s an ESL teacher like me and I haven’t seen her in awhile. We always have a good time whenever we get together and she’s promised me a night out together. We both love to dance and I think we’re going to go out to Cherry Grove for a good ole smash.

Picking up where I once left off…

So, there you have it…my improving mindset during these crazy last weeks of school, still with all of the things that life throws at you in the meantime, but using the keys to life to minimize the stress and capitalize on the positive. I’m slowly starting to get back to where I was at the end of last summer and into fall before I met him and that’s a good thing. This time I have the whole summer to come into my own and maybe, just maybe, great things are ahead.

I’m going to leave you with 4 Non Blondes here. Though it was an only hit for the group, ‘What’s Up’ is an awesome song. If you know it, press play and relive whatever memories you associate with it. If you don’t, well I can say it probably takes a couple of listens to really get it, but this song is so good it’s worth it! As always, thanks for reading and enjoy the song. Peace!


What's Up? - Bigger, Better, Faster, More!


PS - Today was my Aunt Vi's birthday. She would have been 103 years old today. She died two years ago this July at the age of 101, so she's not here to celebrate it. I've written a lot about her in the past. Aunt Vi was the matriarch of the family, with one of the kindest hearts of anybody I've ever known. I like to think that I inherited some of mine from her and for that I'm thankful. I miss her a lot and I'll be looking forward to seeing her again someday.

I've posted all the links to my pieces about Aunt Vi on my Facebook page (they're all on Y!CN, too!), as well as my favorite picture of the two of us. It was taken on her 100th birthday party held at my house. I think it's a great picture and so I share it again here. Happy Birthday Aunt Vi!




No comments:

Post a Comment