Monday, May 30, 2011

May 30, 2011 - A Night at the Grove, Part 2

How perfect! Today is Monday, May 30, 2011, Memorial Day and it’s overcast and a bit rainy. After three almost perfect days of beautiful sunny weather, the one day I need to stay inside and get things done it’s crappy out. I know it’ll probably ruin some barbecues and other holiday events and I’m sorry for anyone wanting to enjoy it, but as for me, the cloudy skies are a good thing.



A Night at the Grove, Part 2

Sunday of both Memorial Day and Labor Day Weekends are THE days to get to the Grove, for whatever reason. I think that yesterday was the most crowded I’d ever seen it, which is probably not really a good thing…it was still fun, though!

What is usually a whole little crew of us that goes on Memorial Day Sundays turned out to be just Blanche and I. My friend Rich had other obligations and at least three others were feeling under the weather in one way or another. At first I thought maybe that it wouldn’t be as fun, but as it turned out, Blanchie and I had a great time together.

As I said, the place was crowded! Everywhere you turned there were people. For much of the night, it made dancing very frustrating, but it’s to be expected on a beautiful holiday weekend. As is the norm, these days are the days where you see people you haven’t seen in a long time, and some you even forgot you knew.

Fire Island Characters

There was Lisa, a real character who, when she saw me, gave me a big hug and kiss. “Where do I know you from?” I asked.

“Religion class,” was her response. Then I remembered that we had met at the Grove last year and had the same conversation. That religion class was during the 2nd grade! I have no idea how she could have remembered me, even from last year, because I had very little recollection of her from last year’s conversation, much less religion class in 2nd grade!

And then there was Vim. Vim is this absolutely beautiful, absolutely cool chick I met at the Grove last year. She kind of reminds me of that Malaysian rap chick, MIA, but prettier. She smokes the same cigarettes as I do, Djarum Black, and she’s got a friend Eric who asked me out a couple of times. Of course we met on the dance floor early on last year and we would see each other often and share a chat or a dance. I had forgotten all about her until I saw her.

Vim was alone and waiting for Eric to get there. When she left me, she promised me a dance, but I never saw her again. No worries, though, cause I’m sure I’ll see her again.

Stephen, the best bud of my bud’s niece Erin, was there too. He saw Blanchie and I on line waiting to get into Ice Palace and came right over to us. We hung out with him for awhile…poor dude had been at the beach all day and was literally burnt to a crisp!

I saw my sometimes buddy with whom I had that terrible night at Splash a few weeks ago. We’d made amends since, though we really haven’t caught up in awhile. What a cutie he is! I don’t know, but I kind of have a soft spot for him. Whatever social skills he’s lacking, I just chalk it up to his age, but deep down, he’s a really nice, cool person. I first saw him on the dance floor at Cherry’s and he flashed me a big smile when he looked my way. We shared a dance or two and some chatter, and then he was off with his bud into the night.

Michael, whom I had seen the night before was there, as were the other Michael and Christian. I kind of feel bad because I met someone last night and it all happened right in front of Christian, whom I was flirting/dancing with. I’d seen Christian around for a long time now and I find him attractive. I never was the kind of guy to pursue others, but if he had ever asked me out, I would’ve gone. He never did, so our relationship has always been simply flirtatious, until we finally spoke the night before.

I Met a Guy

Anyway, back to the guy I met. I was dancing on the dance floor right in front of the elevated stage at Cherry’s. Christian was in front of me, on the stage, and to his right was a guy named Matthew. Matthew was adorable and we were smiling at each other a lot as we danced. Before you knew it, he was dancing right up to me and after that, he had all my attention, lol.

It’s a shame, because after only a little while, Matthew and his friends had to catch the ferry back to the island, so we didn’t have much time to talk. As his friends dragged him out of the bar he grabbed my hand and dragged me along with him. (It was cute how he did that!) We exchanged #’s before he left and I later found out that he had to leave because he had a flight this morning. I hope we connect when he gets back from wherever he is!

Back to feeling bad about Christian…a little later on, Blanchie and I went over to the Ice Palace and we saw Christian and Michael again. I walked over to chat with them…Michael was chatty, but Christian just walked away without a word. He was obviously annoyed at me. That really sucks because as I said yesterday I would’ve loved to be friends with the two of them, but now I think that’s over. He probably hates me, but I guess I can’t worry about it. Hopefully we’ll get to mend some fences soon…

Blanchie

I’ve said this many times before, but for whatever it’s worth my best buddies Blanche and Dita don’t like to go out too often. I guess since I missed out on being single in my twenties, I’m catching up for it now and since they’ve already done that, they don’t feel the need as I do. I was a little reluctant going over with just Blanche because I know that I like to roam around and mingle and I wanted him to have a good time. I even gave him an out, telling him that he didn’t have to go if he didn’t want to or that he could leave me there if he wanted to go home early. I was afraid I’d be leaving him too often and that he wouldn’t have a good time, but in the end I was pleasantly surprised.

He knew a few people there, too, and was able to do his own thing here and there and still have fun with me. At first I don’t think he was having the greatest time, mostly because of the crowd, but eventually his plans to leave at 11:30 changed when his night did. He and I had a lot of fun together and I was actually thankful to have him around because he had to ‘save’ me a few times from some of the leeches on the dance floor.

Touchy, Touchy

I don’t know what it is, but why do people feel that just because you’re shirtless they are allowed to touch you? I’m really shocked at the amount of people who took the liberty to put their hands on me just because I had my shirt off. At one point I went to the bar to order a drink and this creepy guy felt the need to grab my nipple with one hand and my butt with the other as I leaned over to talk to the bartender. I wish I was the type to slap his hands away and say something nasty, but that’s just not me. All I could do was look away and walk away….grrrr!

I’m telling you, my nipples were touched so many times last night they started to hurt after awhile. The worst was when I was dancing alone and this older dude who had been staring at me made a move the moment I turned my back on him. He put one arm around my waist and again, touched my nipple with the other. Thankfully Blanche was within sight and I mouthed the words “help me” to him. Thanks Blanchie!

I can only imagine how girls feel when these leeches take liberties such as they did with me, a 46 year old guy. These guys (and sometimes girls!) are nothing but creeps.

Anyway, the rest of the night was spent dancing, of course and having a great time. I’m glad it’s Monday because I’m gonna need the week to recoup from the last two nights over there. I think it’s gonna be a great summer! Thanks, as always, for reading!

Here’s a little Fatboy Slim:

Right about now, the funk soul brother….



Rockafeller Skank 'The Bootlegs' - EP - Fatboy Slim



2 comments:

  1. If you are going around without a shirt, it seems you are proclaiming your middle-aged sluttiness. Maybe it's a signal you should keep your tired old tits covered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey dude, first of all, thanks for reading. Your comment is not very nice, especially since you don't know me at all. I could delete your comment, but I'm not like that. Next time you should be brave enough to publish who you are instead of heaping idiotic insults anonymously like a coward.

    ReplyDelete