Friday, June 3, 2011

One Last Night at the Bunk House


I received an invitation through Facebook today, one which came unexpectedly. Though rumors and speculation about the closing of the Bunk House have run rampant for almost two years, no one knew exactly when that end would come. For me and my friends, that end will be tonight, and for everyone else the bar that's been around for thirty years or so will close its doors for the last time tomorrow night.

It is truly the end of an era. The Bunk was the very first bar I ever set into, and though my relationship with the place has had its ups and downs over the years, especially lately, it's sad to see it go. I just published a piece on the announcement, which you can read here. In the meantime, I have to start getting ready soon for my own finale at the joint.

The Facebook invitation and its ensuing commentary says that the Bunk House will reopen soon in another location, perhaps in the town of Patchogue where I live. That could be cool, but I'm thankful it's summer and at least I've got Fire Island for a couple of months, but then what? We'll just have to wait and see...

Here's a song tribute to the place that holds so many memories for me. It's one of my favorite slow jams and it kind of fits the way I'm feeling right now at the end of this era. Enjoy 'Reflections (I Remember)' by Mary J Blige:


Reflections - A Retrospective - Mary J. Blige


P.S. - On Sunday, the Bunk House will be holding an auction of many of the items found in the tavern, from pictures to urinals and more. Some of the proceeds will be going to Thursday's Child charities. The auction begins at 8PM. Check out the Bunk's Facebook page here for more.

Stay tuned for more on this as things develop.

No comments:

Post a Comment