Monday, June 27, 2011

Pride Song of the Day - Supermodel - Rupaul


Once upon a time there was a little black girl
in the Brewster Projects of Detroit, Michigan.
At 15, she was spotted by an Ebony Fashion Fair talent scout,
and her modeling career took off.


YOU BETTER WORK!

Many of you might remember this one from 1993 by drag queen extraordinnaire, singer/songwriter, actor, television host, and a whole lot more, RuPaul. The opening, for those of you who might not know, includes a little nod to Ru's (and my) diva, Ms. Diana Ross, who grew up in those Brewster projects and portrayed a model in the film Mahogany. The rest of the song is as camp as camp can be, with a funky music track and some fabulous lyrics. It's a perfect showcase for a "Pride Song of the Day."

I especially love the little homage interlude towards the end of the song:

Linda, work
Naomi, she is fierce!
Christy, foxy lady other side
Cindy, I can feel it!
Claudia set on the cover
Nicky, work that runway sweetie


Then of course there's the:

sashay, chantee, chantee, chantee, chantee, chantee, chantee...

Can you tell I love this song? LOL Anyway, I became a big fan of RuPaul's music from that time on. She's released several albums of surprisingly good, campy stuff. I own the first two, 'Supermodel' and 'Foxy Lady,' and I can tell you they're both full of catchy, fun songs like 'Back to My Roots,' 'Party Train,' 'A Little Bit of Love,' 'Snapshot,' and more. It's really too bad that none of these are available on YouTube, otherwise you'd get a much bigger (and funner!) post than you're getting. RuPaul's 'Supermodel' is a perfect song for pride and I hope you enjoy...


RuPaul


No comments:

Post a Comment