Monday, July 25, 2011

July 24-25, 2011 - Amy, Amy, Amy; Busy-Lazy Weekend; Studio 54 Party; Kenny

It’s late Sunday night, or early Monday morning, depending on which way you look at it. I’m tired and I’ve been laboring all weekend on writing, though it hasn’t been as fruitful as I would have liked (I told you about the Amy Winehouse fiasco yesterday!), but there are a few things I wanted to talk about before I get overwhelmed with too much to write about, so here I go…

Amy, Amy, Amy

I do not intend to beat a dead horse with the Amy Winehouse story (excuse the pun!). Regardless of being a writer and wanting to get the story out yesterday in a big way, I am still a big fan whose really sorry for her loss and I don’t want to make anyone sick of her because Lord knows there will be enough out there in the coming weeks that’ll do the trick.

Through yesterday’s fiasco, I still wanted to do a piece on her, one that of course talked about her music and my connection to it. I call the piece “Amy’s Legacy,” because that’s just what her music is, of course, her legacy. If you like Amy’s music, but may not even know it all, take a look at it by clicking the picture below. I put links to the songs I talk about so you can listen for yourself at see what a talent she really was.


I'm placing the audio here for you to listen to of a song called "Amy, Amy, Amy" that I simply love. It's very jazzy and very sexy and of course since it's got her name three times in the title, it's probably the one song of hers that I've had in my head the most this weekend. Enjoy...


Amy Amy Amy - Frank


A Busy/Lazy Kind of Weekend

I think I’d be in real trouble if I ever became a writer full time. With the Amy Winehouse story happening in the middle of the day yesterday, I had to drop and then revisit articles that I was already working on. I really should have been finished, but when I’m home, in front of my pc, with no specific place to be, I tend to lose my discipline and waste a lot of time. It’s definitely becoming a problem because I’m neglecting a lot of other things I should be doing in the name of writing, which I’m not doing as much as I should….whew, that was a mouthful!

Anyway, a few months ago I declared that I was becoming organized, but just like my attempts to quit smoking, I haven’t been doing too good. Well tomorrow’s Monday and Monday is always a great day to start something new, right? So let’s just see where the wind takes us, lol…

Studio 54 at the Grove

Last night Cherry’s was having a “Studio 54 Disco Party.” I wasn’t thrilled about it, but it turned out to be better than I thought it was going to be. I still found myself dancing to the Jacksons “Dancing Machine” (She’s a dance, dance, dance, dance , dancing machine, whatcha get down, whatcha get down…), Kool and the Gang, and Yvonne Elliman’s awesome “If I Can’t Have You.” Of course there were some downsides, like Barry Manilow’s “Copacabana” and Leo Sayer’s “You Make Me Feel Like Dancing,” which I absolutely hate. Disco group Musique was there performing their funky, sexy, “In the Bush,” which was alright. Let’s just say I’m glad it was only one night. Now I think they should do an
80’s night. Now THAT would be cool!

An anticlimactic reunion with an old acquaintance

I should not have been the only one going to the Grove last night. Someone of significance was going to be there and my friend Blanchie should have been there too, but unfortunately he had tickets to a show so I went by myself to see a person from our past, Kenny.

Back in the late 80’s, I used to hang out at the clubs with Blanche a lot, that is, until I met first Marco and then Joe. As I settled in to relationship status, Blanche found a new best friend, Kenny, with whom he would become very close. Kenny and I hung out together here and there, but he and I were never really close at all. I guess maybe there was a jealousy kind of thing going on…I really don’t remember.

Anywho, back in 87 or 88, Blanche and Kenny had a falling out and haven’t spoken since. Naturally since I was never direct friends with Kenny, it was the last time I ever saw him either, until now. In comes Alfonse and Billy, a former-couple-but-now-best-friends duo who we all kinda sorta knew from back then. I’d seen the two of them here and there since I’ve been single again, and on Memorial Day Weekend, Blanche spoke to them. They’re still good friends with Kenny, who now lives in Miami.

To make a long story even longer, Kenny has been up for a visit and the three of them rented a place at the Grove for the weekend. It would have been the perfect night for the two old friends to reunite even if for a night of reminiscing and catching up. Instead I was the one to get to see Kenny. All I can say is that time really does work magic, as whatever negative feelings I had for the guy back in the day were no longer there. I’m not saying I wanted to make all nicey-nicey with him, but it was actually cool seeing him for the ten minutes that I did. Besides, Kenny’s gained a few (he was always very thin), so… (He smiles!)

Wrap It Up John, Wrap It Up

Okay, so now it's definitely Monday morning as I've been writing this for more than an hour. I've got more to tell, but I'll save that for next time. I need to sleep! As always, thank you so much for reading and we'll see you tomorrow (or today? LOL)!

No comments:

Post a Comment