Saturday, July 23, 2011

Rest in Peace Amy!


What a crazy day today! As you’ve probably heard by now, British singer Amy Winehouse was found dead in her apartment in London earlier today. Such a sad, but unsurprising ending to another promising career cut short by drugs and alcohol.

I first heard the news via Twitter and immediately began writing a story on it. It was one of the fastest pieces I’d ever written, about ten to fifteen minutes, and I quickly submitted it to Gather. For the next hour I waited for them to review it and was finally greeted with a rejection, saying that a story had already been published on the news. One of those frustrating things as a writer…this was the first time I had such quick access to a story and still I was beaten to the punch. Ah, well, at least I can share what I want about it here. The rejection doesn’t really have any bearing on the story anyway.

Of course, I first discovered Amy Winehouse right about when everyone else did, when “Rehab” was all over the radio. I bought “Back to Black” and fell in love with virtually every song. I even got my mom to like her by playing the album over and over in the car on the way to Atlantic City several times.

As time went on and Amy’s troubles were keeping her from putting out new stuff, I went on to iTunes in search of some old Amy stuff, as I was yearning for something new from the singer (as were all of her fans). I did find some stuff she had done before “Back to Black” and a couple of those songs turned out to be my favorites, most notably “Valerie” and “Amy, Amy, Amy.”

So be on the lookout for another piece or two on the singer. She meant that much to me and I am moved to share more. In the meantime, my heart goes out to her troubled soul and I hope that she is now in a better place, entertaining the angels. Rest in peace Amy! You will be missed!

Here’s an appropriate Amy Winehouse song to mark today’s sad occasion:


Back to Black - Amy Winehouse


No comments:

Post a Comment