Friday, July 8, 2011

Untitled


Sometimes I wish I’d never met you
Then I wouldn’t have had to endure the pain.
You’ve given me the highest of highs
And the lowest of lows
Forlorn times that I wish I’d never experienced

You called to say you’re sorry
And I believe you!
I wish I could just say, “that’s okay,”
But I can’t
For the way you treated me was too hard a pill to swallow

I thought I meant more than that, and maybe I did
For months later you’ve worked up the courage
To tell me so in your own way,
That cutting me off without word was “unfair.”
You only forgot to say that it was also hurtful

It’s been months and I don’t really know what to say
Yet another new place for this tired soul
Through your apology I can still see
The man I once cared for
A decent, kind character with a big heart

Yes, bad memories abound unfortunately
What was once so bright
Now seems like a Dark Age from the past
And I, too, now look upon our time
With sadness and regret

Sometimes I wish I could go back in time
Take the good moments while they lasted
And not get too enamored
Or too complacent
With the small world we shared together for a short while

I have no such power, though I wish I did
For then the hole in my heart wouldn’t be there
The hole you left when you departed from my life
The one that leaves me
With the sadness I still carry

You see that I am enjoying life
Maybe yes, from the outside
But smiles sometimes cloak melancholy.
It’s okay, though
The despair has almost reached its ebb

Yes, I’m recovered, but as you can see there is still hurt
Golden opportunities don’t present themselves often enough
And I feel as if I’d missed mine
Hopefully you’ve found what you were searching for
A respite from the storm, a long-awaited peace

As for me, well I keep going
Living my life searching for my happiness
I deserve it
We all deserve happiness
And I hope you’ve finally found yours

Sometimes I wish you’d never gone away
That way I’d still get to smile
At your beautiful face
And your playful, endearing ways
But what’s past is past, and we move on

Maybe one day we’ll cross paths once again
And the past can stay past
I think I’d like that, and maybe you would, too
But not too fast of course
There’s still some healing to be done

So thank you for reaching out
It was a surprise, no doubt
At least now when I think of you
I’ll remember that soul that’s still out there
That kind, caring soul that is you!



No comments:

Post a Comment