Sunday, August 14, 2011

Oh the Pain!


It’s a very rainy Sunday here on Long Island and a good day to stay in and catch up on some writing. I was supposed to go on the Sea Tea tonight with some friends, but the since the weather is so bad, we postponed it until next week, which is probably a good thing…

Oh the pain!

The past twenty-four hours have been one physical mishap after another for me, which hardly ever happens, so I guess that maybe I was due for it. It all started yesterday afternoon while I was doing some much needed yard work. I had just bought a new set of pruning shears because my old ones broke and I was using them to help shape down a tree in the front of my house.

Without thinking (or wearing gloves!), I cut them right into my index finger clean through. Now I was never one for the sight of blood, especially my own, and I became very queasy very quickly as the blood kept coming and coming. I ran in the house and put it under water and bandaged it, but the bleeding didn’t stop for several hours as seemingly everything I touched caused it to reopen. Thankfully, the bleeding finally stopped without me getting stitched up, but it still smarts!

As it turns out, that was just the beginning. I went into the city with my friend Paul last night and we were leaving the Ritz around 2:30 in the morning when I had another accident. You see, while we had been inside, the skies opened up and it was raining so hard that we had to run from awning to awning to prevent ourselves from getting too wet (which was impossible!). Finally, we reached the awning in front of my car and I turned to Paul and counted…one…two…three…and we were off!

Within about a foot of reaching the car door I stepped forward and my right foot just slipped forward and I landed flat on my back, making three huge scrapes on my forearm in the process. A couple of stand-bys let out a huge gasp at witnessing the fall, that’s how hard it was. I quickly jumped up and hopped into the car, letting out a huge “Owwwww” as soon as I closed the car door.

So here I sit, in pain all over my body. Even though I said it’s probably a good thing we’re not going on the Sea Tea tonight, I still would have gone anyway, and now that the day is slowly turning into night I’m starting to get a little restless….


No comments:

Post a Comment