Tuesday, September 13, 2011

September 13, 2011 - Public Speaking Gig#3; Indian Summer: North Carolina and Gay Marriage

It’s Tuesday night and I am tired! After doing all of the things I needed to do in my house after work, I came upstairs to write and I just don’t feel like it, at least I don’t feel like writing something I have to write, if you know what I mean. There have only been five days of school so far and already I feel like I’ve never even had a vacation…



Public Speaking Gig #3

Tomorrow I will be making a presentation to the faculty at school for our monthly meeting. It will be my third time in less than a year of doing so, which is NOT the norm. I guess I did a good job the last two times because my principal asked me again and I just couldn’t say no, but as is the case every time, I am nervous and I just don’t have the energy right now to come up with something to top my two previous ones.

I hate public speaking, and whenever I say that people always respond with, “but you’re a teacher!” Yeah, well I can assure you that this a lot different. I have no problems speaking in front of my class of a few kids, but get about 80 teachers and staff with Master’s Degrees together and I don’t know, I just spawn about a thousand butterflies in my stomach, and that’s really only in the days and hours leading up to it. Once I’m up there I’m usually fine…but I still can’t wait til it’s over with!


Image Source: deviantart

Indian Summer?

I remember always hearing about Indian Summer when I was a kid. Supposedly it was a short period of time, after summer ended, when the weather suddenly turned summer-like again. Well, I think we’re experiencing it now. The past couple of days have been hot and humid and it feels more like August than September, especially in my non-air-conditioned classroom! Can anybody say “autumn please!”?


Image Source: Huffington Post

I’m Never Moving to North Carolina!

One of the articles I was so hyped up about writing earlier was on a vote that was held in North Carolina today. Though they already have a law on the books banning gay marriage, they wanted to add an amendment that would make it stronger for them to fight possible lawsuits regarding its legalized status in six other states (New York included!), should any lawfully wed gay couples from these places decide to relocate to North Carolina.

Republican lawmakers lead the charge to the amendment’s victory, which will put it up to the voters of the state to decide once and for all next May whether to pass it or not. When questioned about wasting taxpayer money on such an issue right now with many other more pressing economic issues and hardships out there, Republican Buck Newton said, “This is not about trying to distract from the economy. This is about an important social issue that we all need to face up to and that we need to allow the public to decide." Riiiggghhhttt!

I do not claim to ever want to get married to anyone, but I will fight like heck to defend anyone else’s right to do so. I’ve said much about this before, and simply put, allowing same sex couples the right to get married is just the right thing to do!

Check out Senate vote puts marriage amendment issue to the voters

Can You Feel It

Ugh, I need to get to bed! I’ve got other things I’d like to share, as always, but I think I’ve said enough for now! In the meantime, here’s a little preview of tomorrow’s “Song of the Day” selection. It’s a Jacksons’ tune from way back in 1980 called “Can You Feel It.” You can skip about 50 seconds of the strange video, as there is some weird narration to introduce the tune. But the song itself is very cool and kind of ethereal, bad sound effects notwithstanding. It was sampled in tomorrow’s “Song of the Day” 18 years later and I loved it! Besides, there’s a little story to it. Stay tuned…


Can You Feel It - Triumph






No comments:

Post a Comment