Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Song of the Day - Feelin' Good - Nina Simone



Image Source: MALEsTRipshow

Birds flying high you know how I feel
Sun in the sky you know how I feel
Breeze driftin' on by you know how I feel


There's something about the start of a new school year...Yeah, it's back to work for teachers and their students today, but like the New Year, the first day of school represents a fresh start, a new beginning.

It's a new dawn
It's a new day
It's a new life
For me
And I'm feeling good


This song is a classic! I remember when I was younger I thought the singer was a man, Nina Simone's voice is that deep. I liked it as a child and I like just the same even now.

Fish in the sea you know how I feel
River running free you know how I feel
blossom in the trees you know how I feel


The tune's been remade many times over, and by some big time artists like Michael Buble', Jennifer Hudson and even the Pussycat Dolls, but to me none of those versions match the intensity of Simone's version.

It's a new dawn
It's a new day
It's a new life
For me
And I'm feeling good


I don't know, this reminds me of the old days, when life was simpler and adulthood was so mysterious to me, much like it is to my students today. I absolutely love the music as well as the lyrics to this one, sort of jazzy and sultry at the same time, like the kind of song you'd hear in an old black and white romantic musical.

Dragonfly out in the sun you know what I mean, don't you know
Butterflies all havin' fun you know what I mean
Sleep in peace when day is done
And this old world is a new world
And a bold world
For me

Stars when you shine you know how I feel
Scent of the pine you know how I feel
Oh freedom is mine
And you know how I feel


So today is the start of a new dawn, a new day for me, my fellow teachers and all of the students. I enjoy the freshness and promise of it all, and I hope it stays with us as we move on through time. So here's to a new school year, and a fresh outlook. You don't have to be a teacher or a student to feel it...all you have to do is remember this time of year and you can make it a new dawn for yourselves, too!

Have a great day everybody!

It's a new dawn
It's a new day
It's a new life
For me
And I'm feeling good



Feeling Good - Four Women: The Complete Nina Simone on Philips Recordings



No comments:

Post a Comment