Sunday, October 23, 2011

October 23rd, 2011 - A long, fun night at Splash

Happy Sunday everyone! Even though I despise Sunday evening (it comes way too quickly!), I love Sunday mornings. A nice breakfast, the Sunday paper, and a day ahead full of promise! I got off to a late start this morning, but for good reason. Last night was Dougie Meyer’s birthday celebration at Splash and I had one of the best times ever…



Dougie Meyer’s Birthday

“Who is Dougie Meyer?”, you may ask. Well, I don’t know him personally, but he’s one of the main promoters at Splash and from what I can see on Facebook, he’s a pretty cool and popular guy. Anyway, yesterday was his 30th birthday and Splash pulled out all the stops to make it a big celebration. For the first time ever since I’ve been going there, I felt as if I was at the fictitious Club Babylon from “Queer as Folk.” The place was bedecked in balloons galore and special lighting effects and it was jam packed.


Source: L.C. Chase

I had gone with my friend Paul, who I occasionally take with me when I go to the club. Anyway, I was supposed to pick him up at 9:30, but things went awry a little before that and for awhile there I thought the night was doomed from the start.


Source: China Whisper

A Saturday Night Traffic Jam

I actually left my house on time, in plenty of time to be at Paul’s house by 9:30, but then it happened. I had only been about five miles from home when I suddenly saw a sea of red lights ahead of me. I slowed down at first, but soon came to a dead stop. It was one of those traffic jams that are a nightmare. For the better part of an hour I inched forward ever so slowly as I was stuck in between exits and could do nothing but wait it out.

I texted Paul to say I was going to be late, and then I turned to my phone out of boredom. To make that excruciating time go by I started writing song lyrics to my status on Facebook out of not knowing what else to do. I was listening to Lily Allen and posted this:

“Get out of my face, just leave me alone, and no you can’t have my number, cause I lost my phone.”

Hehe, my friend Jorge had been online and he mistook it for something entirely different. He asked what was wrong. Well, I literally laughed out loud and in my temporary insanity I started furiously writing more one-liners from songs. I quoted Madonna and Britney, Michael Jackson and even “Ricky Don’t Lose That Number.” I was very giddy from that, and thank goodness because it took my mind off of standing still for so long.

More Bad Signs

I finally got to Paul’s around 10:30, an hour after I was supposed to pick him up. It didn’t take long for something else to go wrong, as Paul realized he had forgotten something after we had already been on the road about five minutes. We had to go back to his house and by the time we were finally headed to Splash, about 45 minutes to an hour away, it was already 10:45. It wouldn’t be so bad, except that midnight is the witching hour at the club, when the admission doubles from $10 to $20, and neither one of us wanted to pay 20 bucks to get in.

I drove as quickly as I could, and luckily there wasn’t too much traffic until we hit the city, of course. Those damned taxicabs! I like to think of them as cockroaches, infesting the city streets and blocking people’s way at seemingly every turn. The cabs were all over the place last night, and there were a couple of close calls between the Midtown Tunnel and the club.

Then there was the parking. Usually I have no trouble finding a space, either on the same block as Splash or the next one up, but of course with the clock ticking, a space became really hard to find. I dropped Paul off in front of the club and I drove on, eventually finding a spot a long ways away. A couple of minutes later I almost had yet a third fall walking from the car down to Splash as I inadvertently stepped on a plastic bag and slipped. I pirouetted not to fall, much to the amusement of passersby, but I did not fall, thankfully and took it as a reminder to watch where I stepped.

I would’ve thought that all of these things were a bad omen of how the night was going to go, but in fact just the opposite happened.


Source: anything beautiful

Splash Saturday

As I said earlier, Splash was hopping last night and I was feeling it. I thought I looked good in my gray Hugo Boss slacks and black t-shirt and so my confidence was flying high. Though Paul and I usually go our separate ways when we hit the club, we stuck together a lot last night. There was a guest deejay who played the kind of house music that I like, with frequent hard-driving dance sequences in between short lulls, for catching breaths, lol.

We danced and flitted about, separating here and there, but at the one time when I needed him most, Mr. Paul couldn’t help me like he was supposed to. Oh, he tried, but eventually gave up on trying to save me from this dude who I’d danced with a few weeks back.

The guy was tall, about 6’3”, and Brazilian from what I remember. Paul and I had been dancing downstairs and the dude had been right near us. He immediately came up behind me and started to grope. At first I was just dancing with him, but then he whispered in my ear that he had come to Splash just to look for me. I only smiled and kept dancing and then he became a little forceful, grabbing my shoulders and trying to kiss my neck. I looked to Paul, who took my queue and came right up on me to ward off the fiery Brazilian. After getting no reaction from the guy, and them some attention from another dude, Paul left me to my own devices and that’s when the guy started to try and bite me on my neck. Yes, I said bite! I had to take matters into my own hands and pushed him off of me, giving him a big, loud “NO”, and went back upstairs alone.

Paul

Paul and I have had an up and down relationship since we first met sometime last year. He’s a lot younger than me, and he reminds me of me when I was his age, only maybe I was a little more tame. At first, I wasn’t so sure if he’d be around for any length of time in my life, but the more I hang out with him, the more I like him. He’s definitely a party dude and can get a little off the wall sometimes, especially for someone my age, but he’s got a good head on his shoulders that I think many people don’t see and for whatever reason we get along really well.

It’s funny, but I’ve kind of become a watchful guardian of his when we go out, keeping an eye on him from afar to make sure no trouble comes his way, and other times all I can really do is let him do his own thing, which is cool by me. It’s not often I have a friend to go clubbing with like that, someone who I can go with and do my own thing, yet have there when I need it. So to him I say thanks for the fun last night and let’s do it again soon! You’re cool and fun no matter what people say about you, lol. (Joking, of course!)

Well that’s all she wrote for this Sunday. It’s a little chilly outside, but I’m heading out there to get some much-needed things done, then heading to mom's for some of her delicious beef stew. Yum! Enjoy everyone!

Here's a clip of that Lily Allen song I quoted last night. It's called "Friday Night" and it's great stuff!


Alright, Still - Lily Allen


No comments:

Post a Comment