Sunday, October 23, 2011

Song of the Day - Like A Prayer - Madonna


Source: COS

Life is a mystery
Everyone must stand alone
I hear you call my name
And it feels like home


Since today is Sunday I wanted to post a song with some sort of religiously related theme and so I chose this, my favorite Madonna song. "Like a Prayer" is an awesome song, with a catchy chorus and a spiritual vibe to it that people just love. Just to show you how good this song still is, I had a student mention it a couple of times in recent weeks:

"Hey Mr. Myers, I don't know why, but I have that song in my head that you taught us a couple of years ago. I woke up singing it and I can't get it outta there." She was laughing as she said it.

A couple of years ago I did a unit on the roots of R&B music, and we did mini-units on jazz, blues and gospel music within the larger lesson. For each genre, I wanted the students to see how the original sounds of those types of songs influenced today's music, more specifically today's R&B music. I shared original songs from those eras and songs from today that employed the same elements.

When I got to gospel, we talked about choirs and their role in gospel music. Since Madonna's video even featured a choir, I was especially inclined to use it for this lesson. I remember playing it for the first time for them. They all liked it immediately, even though some of them weren't sure exactly who this Madonna person was, lol.

The lesson was one of my most memorable, that's for sure, and for this particular student, well here we are two years later and she's still singing it. She confessed to me last week that it was the only song she really remembers from that lesson, which is cool by me!


Like a Prayer - Like a Prayer


1 comment:

  1. "Hey Mr. Myers, I don't know why, but I have that song in my head that you taught us a couple of years ago. I woke up singing it and I can't get it outta there." She was laughing as she said it.


    Who is she Mr. Myers...???? ;)

    ReplyDelete