Sunday, November 6, 2011

November 6, 2011 - Reunion with an old bestie; Splash Saturdays, Ritz and Ultimate Frustration


Source: comments 18

Today is Sunday, November 6th, and we have another day of beautiful weather out there. Today’s the first day of Standard Time, which means that we set the clocks back last night one hour and now it’ll be getting dark much earlier. Yup, we’re into the short, gloomy days of winter ahead, which to me is one of the worst things about this time of year. Oh well, at least we all got an extra hour of sleep last night, right?

Reunion with an old bestie

Last night I had a reunion with an old, old friend of mine. Bessie and I used to work together in Citibank and we’ve been through a lot together. Aside from working in the trenches together at the bank for a number of years, we’ve been in touch on and off for twenty years now. I deejayed her wedding, I’ve been to the christenings of her three beautiful children, and she and I never lose a step in our conversations whenever we talk.

Bess lives in eastern Queens and since I was going to be passing where she lives on my way to Splash, I came up with the idea of hanging with her a bit beforehand, which she was down for. I hadn’t seen her in at least three years, nor talked to her in months, but she and I often interact on Facebook (which is one of the things I love about the site!). Anyway, I surprisingly remembered how to get to her house and by 9:15 we were shooting the breeze just like old times.

She and I spent the next two hours chatting and we probably could have gone another three or four. That’s what makes a good friend, you know, a person with whom you can just pick up where you left off no matter how long it’s been, and without losing a step. It was really great to reconnect with her and I think now we’ve found a new way to keep connected. I’ll see ya soon Bess!

Splash Saturdays, the Ritz, and Ultimate Frustration

After leaving Bessie’s house, I ran down to Splash. It was so nice to have only a 20-minute drive for a change…it makes me yearn to move to the city even more. I beat the midnight cover charge by about ten minutes (Bessie and I have always had a hard time leaving one another’s company, lol). The crowd at the bar was a typical Saturday evening one, and world-famous deejay Hex Hector was spinning. Last time Hector played at Splash the music was awesome. Not so much last night, and I hardly danced. Since there was an extra hour I figured I’d try my luck at Ritz.

Ritz was its usual crowded self, with wall to wall people, but it wasn’t as crowded as it has been, so there was actually room to dance. Within minutes of hitting the floor this dude Jeremiah came up to dance with me and I ended up hanging out with him the rest of the night. He’s from Rockland County, NY, which is like a three hours drive from here, and that’s just my typical luck.

Jeremiah and I ended up in my car somehow, chit chatting until the wee hours. During that time, something really bad happened: my iPod disappeared. I kind of remember it happening…I had tucked it under the seat earlier when I had parked and I recall tugging on the wire to pull it out from under there and feeling it dislodge from the wire. After Jeremiah left I sat there for what seemed like an eternity looking for it. After about a half an hour of searching the underbelly of the car, and with the clock ticking towards 5AM, I finally gave up and rode home in silence, worried about the missing iPod.

My iPod is my life! As you all may very well know from reading this blog and my other stuff, you know that music is one of the things that’s most important to me and it’s the one thing I cannot do without. The damned space beneath the seat in my car is so tiny…my hand can barely fit to feel around under there,, but as soon as I finish this post I’m heading back out there where hopefully daylight will let me find it. Wish me luck…

Well, that’s all she wrote! I plan to be back here later with second Sunday post, so look for that. In the meantime, enjoy this beautiful November day!

No comments:

Post a Comment