Friday, January 13, 2012

January 13th, 2012 - Crappy Friday; Change in Writing

What a lazy day! I took a day from work today because I had a lot of things to do, and out of a list of about 15 things, I did maybe 3 or 4 of them. Many of these things involved making phone calls which I hate to do and as always I found a way to keep myself from making them. I am NOT happy about it!



Crappy Friday

I guess one of the biggest reasons for being so lazy today is because I haven’t been in a good mood. I’ve got a problem that I won’t get into here, but it’s been weighing on my mind all day. I just hate it when these things come up and seep into my general mood, disrupting my life. I know it’s my own fault and that I need to be more disciplined (mental note: go back to reading “The Life You Were Born to Live.”). I just wish I knew how to do it.



A Change in Writing

I have not been in a writing way these past couple of weeks either. As I’ve mentioned before, I’ve been thinking of how to narrow my focus in writing down to a place where I can be more effective, have some extra free time, and enjoy my life more in the process. For far too long the enjoyment I used to get out of writing has been minimal, and I find myself spending more time in front of the pc writing about things I wouldn’t have written about when I first started. It’s become more of a chore than a pleasure.

I want to start writing again about the things I love to write about, and I have made one decision that I hope will get me there. If I keep on doing things the way I’ve been doing them, then nothing will ever change, the results I get will be the same. In order to effect real change in my life I know I must make some big adjustments and the first thing I’ve decided to do is to resign from Gather.

Gather is a really nice site that does pay well in the short run, but after 30 days, the earning potential is a goner. The eight-article per month minimum they have was too much pressure for a writer who writes only part time, especially since he writes for other places and tries to have a life, too! I know that if I choose to stay at Gather and focus on that I would definitely earn more money, but I’d have to give up something else like Examiner or Yahoo or this blog, all of which I’ve been doing longer.

I love the possibilities I have with John’s World and Yahoo. The topics for me to write about are endless, especially with this blog and to a certain extent, Yahoo. Examiner is a place that I can always find something to write about, and it’s gotten me noticed here on Long Island, too. Their pay scale is pretty good, and so I’m going to stick with them, too, for now. Yahoo is still a potential place for me to stay. I’m contemplating applying for a featured position in music again, and who know what’ll happen this time?

So resigning from Gather will hopefully allow me to concentrate on more writing, and at a more leisurely, stress-free place than before. We’ll see how that goes. In the meantime I hope to spend more time on this blog and see where it takes me.
I’m formulating plans for John’s World and in addition to streamlining the site, I hope to be adding more, shorter posts on news items and stuff I find interesting. I already started earlier today with a video of an older black gentleman whooping it up to the Black Keys’ “Lonely Boy.” The video made me smile and I hope made you smile, as well. Look for more short stuff like that on here…

Well, that’s all I have for now. Since there wasn’t much writing today, Writing Wednesday is a no go for this week, but you can check out my Yahoo Voices feed to the right to see that piece that finally got published a few days back. As always, thanks for visiting!

Image Sources:

female imagination

social-networking


No comments:

Post a Comment