Monday, January 2, 2012

January 2nd, 2012 - New Year, First Dilemma: Let's Go Rangers!

Monday night. 10PM. Christmas vacation is over and the New Year is here, and I feel like I’m supposed to look at things fresh yet once again and start anew. Only there’s something about that whole notion I find to be too standard, too ‘have-to,’ and so I shy away like I do, until afterwards. Right now, I am in a kind of peaceful place, not too worried or upset over anything and not too excited about anything either, but the New Year is a time to reflect and correct, so to speak, and I do feel the need for it. I’m just not sure where to start.


Image Source: endor[finn]

New Year, First Dilemma

Of course there’s the money, that nagging canker sore that never really seems to go away. The only times I don’t feel depressed about it are when I’m not thinking about it, which is not so hard to do. Life carries many distractions, and probably the only thing good about them is that they keep you too busy to think about your problems, but I know that not thinking about your problems doesn’t make them go away!

So I sit here, right before having to go to bed knowing that it’s back to work tomorrow. In a way I look forward to it. I do love what I do, and somehow being on a schedule makes life more productive, more on-track. I just dread having to get up so early in the morning, especially after having stayed up late for the past 11 days…but I digress…

I really don’t have any idea where to begin, but I know the first thing I have to think about is writing. I love writing very much, and I wish it was something that I did full-time, but I’m finding that writing has put me in isolation from a lot of things and really it hasn’t been worth the time I’ve put into it, financially.

So before I promise to quit smoking or find a new lover, get more exercise or start volunteering, I need to decide what to do about writing. I don’t plan to stop writing, but I know I need to be more productive about it. It’s going to take a lot of thought, but as with everything else in my life putting it down like this helps me to think about it, so forgive me for making you my pseudo-therapist.

At the moment, I really have no idea where to start. The pressure of putting out eight pieces a month on Gather, and with limited stories, may cause me to resign there, even though it is probably the most lucrative. One of the minuses about being a 25/7 (see here and here) is that I lack focus, and so if I focused more on Examiner or Yahoo I may be more successful. Or maybe I should focus more on this blog…it’s where I enjoy writing the most. Only I have to find a way for it to be more productive, as well. We shall see…


Image Source: bleacherreport

Let’s Go Rangers!

Today was the NHL Winter Classic, a 5th annual hockey game traditionally played outdoors on New Year’s Day, but since that fell on a Sunday, well… It’s become a really popular event in the world of sports and since hockey is my favorite sport, it’s kind of exciting for me. What was so special about this year’s game was that the Rangers were in it against the Philadelphia Flyers in a fight for first place. I DVR’ed the game earlier in the day and watched it tonight with my former student/buddy Max.

What sucked about the taping of the game was that the DVR only recorded it for its scheduled duration, three hours, but to my dismay (and stupidity for not recording the show afterwards) the game lasted about three hours and two minutes. Max and I watched it as long as it lasted and then I had to go to Twitter to find out what happened. The Rangers won, 3-2, in an exciting comeback victory.

Before coming by tonight, Max didn’t know too much about NHL hockey, if anything at all, but it didn’t take him too long to get into it. After the game, we watched an episode of HBO’s 24/7 special documentary series on the game, and it was pretty good. It got me missing the days when I followed the Rangers more than I do now.

Hockey is truly an exciting sport, and NY Ranger hockey is even more exciting, especially at MSG. And from watching the game and the special, I’ve been surprised to learn that my Rangers are looking pretty damned good this year, as good as, dare I say, champs? They seem to have great team chemistry and players like Marian Gaborik, Ryan Callahan, Hendrik Lundquist, Brandon Dubinsky and others kind of remind me of the glory days of 1994. We’ll just have to see… I already know one of the things I’ll be doing with some of my time not writing….Let’s Go Rangers!


Image Source: infosport


No comments:

Post a Comment