Thursday, January 5, 2012

Song of the Day - Shame Shame Shame - Shirley & Company


The buzz word for the day is "DISCO." I have no idea whether or not I had anything to do with it or if it was just coincidence, but after I posted Donna Summer's very discoey "Try Me, I Know We Can Make It" as "Song of the Day" yesterday, more than a couple of friends on Facebook and followers on Twitter mentioned that they were listening to disco. I couldn't help but wonder if Ms. Donna sparked a little bit of that.

After that happened I knew I wanted to post another song from that era for today and I wanted to use something that wasn't one of your ordinary disco megahits by the Bee Gees or KC & the Sunshine Band. There were several I could have chosen from, but this one is one of my favorites. I didn't really know the song when it was popular, but rather I learned it through deejaying. I remember liking it the first time I heard it and I played it often after that, almost always to a fun crowd of dancers.

Anyway, this is the first time I've actually seen the singers of the song, Shirley & Company, and I have to say I was really surprised. The clip is from an appearance on an American Bandstand-type show and when I first got a glimpse of Shirley , I knew it was her, but the dude that was with her ("Company") looked like a young, gay Erik Estrada and not who I expected to be singing that part. I watched the performance closer and once it came to his part I realized that he was the one singing.

Both voices in the song are very soulful, and the dude's voice especially, so his appearance as compared to his vocals are not what you'd expect, kind of like Rick Astley from back in the 80's. I found out from the commentary that his name is Kenny Jeremiah, and he is indeed the male voice in the song.

"Shame, Shame, Shame" is a great tune anyway...a lil bit o' soul and a lil bit o' disco. Enjoy and Happyy Thursday!


Shame, Shame, Shame (Vocal Version) - Shame Shame Shame





Image Source: Museu Da Musica'

No comments:

Post a Comment