Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Single Ain't So Bad: Happy Valentine's Day



Happy Valentine’s Day! You know, I’ve never been the biggest fan of Valentine’s Day, even when I had someone to share it with. Probably the best Cupid’s Day celebrations of my life were spent way back in time when I first met Joe. I think it’s so much nicer when things are new and exciting. I won’t deny that I wouldn’t have minded to have a Valentine this year, but things are what they are. Ah well, maybe next year…

A Nice, Single Weekend

Even though I don’t have a Valentine, I’d say that I’m doing just fine. Being single has its ups and downs, and for the past few days I’ve been enjoying the ups, so it’s all good. I had a busy weekend this past week and for now I’ll be resting for the big vacation week ahead…

Almond

My weekend started off unexpectedly with a trip to Almond Restaurant in Bridgehampton. I got a call from my new friend Louis inviting me out for a few drinks and I was only too happy to start the weekend off on a good note. I’d been to Almond once a couple of weeks prior and had a really nice time, enjoying good food in a nice atmosphere and making new friends.

Almond is by no means a gay bar, but in the years since the only nightspots for gays in the Hamptons closed, namely Club Swamp and The Annex, it’s been well known as the place where people like us hang out out there. Of course during the winter months, the crowds are by no means packed in, but there were enough PLU’s in the place to make for a fun night of mixing and mingling, and that’s just what I did, as I got to meet several of Louis’ Sag Harbor friends, all of whom were really nice.

All in all it was a nice evening and I’m glad I went, except for one little incident that happened right at the end. At the time there were five of us left, and the other four decided to continue on to another place, further east. Since I was the only one who lived west, I decided to end my night there, but not before this one dude in our group threw it out there and soured it for me:

“Hey, four young guys going out,” he said … (then, turning to me) “Oh, sorry, I just can’t include you on that.”

Well thanks dude! Thanks for reminding me of my age. It’s one of the things I hate about being gay and single at my age…I’m not gonna go there here cause I’ve got plenty to say on the topic. Hey, well karma’s a bitch baby, and besides, I’m the youngest, uh hmm, forty-something I know! :-P

Splash Saturday

Saturday was time to head into the city to Splash. I got a call from my old pal Paul earlier in the week asking me if I was going into the city. Since I hadn’t seen him in a couple of months, and I hadn’t been to the city in a couple of weeks, I told him I would. Now, I’ve spoken of my trips to Splash with Paul, and this one was definitely the high note of the weekend. It was really nice to see him again, and to ‘feel the love’ between us. It’s funny, but in the time I’ve known him I’ve really come to like him a lot, and sometimes, like Saturday, we have a really great time together…nuff said!



M Lounge

Sunday was the third straight night out for me, as my pal Blanchie and I headed out to Hauppauge for the monthly M Lounge night at the Grill Room Restaurant. The M Lounge is a twice a month gathering for gay men on Long Island and he and I had gone for the first time in January and had a blast. The restaurant turns into the lounge one Saturday and one Sunday per month, and it attracts mostly guys in their 30’s and up, which is definitely a change of pace from Campus Thursdays at Splash, lol.

The Sunday evening ‘mixer’ begins at 5 PM, which is an awesome time for those of us who work and would like to get out early enough to make it to work the next morning. In January, Blanchie and I were surprised at how crowded the place was and we were expecting a similar situation this month, but it was not to be. It was, after all, Grammy night, and it was snowing like heck during our ride over there. So I guess a lot of the old queens just stayed in their warm houses in front of the TV. Nevertheless we hung around for a couple of hours, mixing and mingling with more new people.

Sunday night was my turn to play twink to the older gentlemen in the place. It’s been a really long time since I could say that, but that’s exactly how I felt for I was definitely one of the younger guys there and I had my share of attention. Attention is flattering, and I just went along with the flirtation and enjoyed the night for what it was…and yeah, I’ll be back again next month!



Happy Valentine’s Day

Being single definitely has its ups and downs. There are plenty of things I miss about having someone to cuddle with in front of the television, or cook with, or just be silly together with. Maybe I’ll have that again someday, but for now, though, it is what it is and I have to take the opportunities to enjoy getting out there and having the kind of fun I can’t really have when I’m with somebody.

So to all you lovers out there, I hope you enjoyed your Valentine’s Day. It’s a great opportunity to get out there and embrace the love and appreciation you have for one another, be a little romantic. It’s what everybody wants, or at least that’s what Rihanna says in the following song. As for me, I’m good, enjoying my single time while I have it, and getting out there and taking pleasure out of my life with a bunch of different people. Happy Valentine’s Day! Oh, and enjoy Rihanna…

I LOVE THIS SONG!



We All Want Love - Talk That Talk





No comments:

Post a Comment