Sunday, March 11, 2012

Grand Opening Gala at the new Bunk House

Here we are again late on a Sunday night! Why does the weekend go by so fast? Never mind…don’t answer that. I already know it’s because it’s our own time, right? Well, if there’s one thing I’ve learned from life is that time does go by quickly, and the older you get, the faster it goes….Ah, well, whaddayagonna do?



The Bunk Revisited

Last night my friend and I went to the “Grand Opening Gala” of the all-new Bunk House. I have to admit, I had mixed feelings about going. On the plus side, last night was a short night, with Daylight Savings and all, and the new club is only about a mile or two from home. I really didn’t want to take two hours of a short night to go all the way into Splash or the new XL (gotta try that place!), but one big detriment to going was the drag show that would be featured at the “gala.”

Call me old fashioned, I do enjoy drag shows every once in awhile, but back in the day they were held on off nights, like a Sunday, to bring people in on a night when they might not ordinarily come out. Saturday night is always a night for dancing and mingling and a drag show just puts everything to a halt at a time when a club is most likely to be crowded. Maybe it’s just me. Who knows?

Also there’s that Long Island factor. Maybe I’ve just gotten used to the clubs in the city, but I started going there in the first place because for one thing, the crowds at bars out here have been a crapshoot the past few years, and also Long Island people are just not nice in general. They’re as clicky as clicky gets, and if you’re not a part of the click, well… (Oh, I’ve got a lot more to say about that!). But in the end I decided to go anyway and I’m glad I did.

Now I’m not going to use this space to describe the new club. I wrote a review on it earlier today which you can read here. All I’ll say is that I like it. The place is much bigger than the old one, with a bigger dance floor and a nice sized, mixed crowd. I said in the review that it is very reminiscent of the old Gation/Luxe at Industry in Levittown, which was a good space for a good time.

We got to the Bunk around 11ish and it was already packed. The parking lot was already full and so both of us had to park on the street, which I wouldn’t normally like to do except for this special occasion, being an opportunity to contribute to my Examiner page.

It seemed as if everyone came out for this. Many people I knew were there, including my friends Tony, Lisa, Paul, and a whole crew of peeps I hadn’t seen since the summer at the Grove. Eileen, the owner was there of course, and so was Eddie who puts on these dance parties. I will say that being a writer definitely is nice, as I was greeted by several people just because of that (Cool, huh?).

The place was packed, almost too packed, as they had four bartenders working one large bar and the wait for a drink was long every time. It was nice to see, though, for it’s been a long time since a LI club seemed like a city one.

The music was pretty good, except every now and then you’d hear the same song for the second time, which is something I’ll never understand. As a former deejay myself, I would never have played a song twice in a night unless it was super-hot. There were probably about three or four songs played twice, and with so much other good stuff out there, I have to say WTF! (Mental note: they played a nice remix/dance version of Gotye’s “Somebody That I Used to Know” that I’ve gotta get my hands on…stay tuned, it just may be a future “Song of the Day!”)

My pal and I made a quick exit once we heard someone say the drag show was coming on in five minutes. It was around 2:30, new time, anyway, so that was okay. All in all, it was a good night and I’d say the new Bunk is someplace I’d definitely go to again, especially when I want to save money on those expensive tolls and of course, the gas that gets me into the city.

Love this song!



Somebody That I Used to Know (feat. Kimbra) - Making Mirrors



Image Source: Facebook


No comments:

Post a Comment