Sunday, May 20, 2012

Feelin' the Love!

Well, today is Sunday, a four full days after my surgery, and I am recuperating slowly, but surely.  As I said before, this surgery was not a pleasant one, and in order to heal quickly my doctor gave me strict orders to not physically exert myself in any way for at least a week.  Whether he told me that or not, the way I've been feeling, I couldn't do much anyway.

With that said, for the first time in my life I've had to depend on people to help me get things done, things that I wouldn't ordinarily need help with and I just wanted to take a moment to say how lucky I am to have good friends upon whom I can depend.

My class' journal question for last week was an all time favorite of mine:

Is it more important to have a lot of friends or just a few really good ones? 


Well, I know how I would answer that question.  to me, having a lot of friends may do wonders for your status on Facebook or Twitter or any social setting in between, but when you have just a few, true friends, then you are one rich person, and my experiences during this past week have backed that up.


The mornings of and after my surgery, several people kept checking up on me to see how I was doing, and they all still are.  Whether you've had experience or not on either end of this equation, let me tell you that just a phone call or a text goes a very long way.  All of these guys came in with offers of help in any way and though I truly appreciated them, at first I didn't think I'd need any help.  But then I was alone and somewhat incapacitated at home...

First up, Nancy Lou

The first person to come by was my friend Nancy Lou, who wanted to check up on me Friday and bring me some breakfast.  Before he got there, I had of course already made my morning cup of coffee and discovered that my milk had gone bad.  Normally I would have just run out quickly, but since I was on the "Perc," I couldn't, and so a quick phone call to Nance and voila: milk!

Reet, Dit, Blanche and Max

Four other friends have all pitched in this week to help me out when I needed it most.  My besties Dita and Blanche have been there virtually every day offering help, and this morning Blanche took me to run a few errands that needed to get done.  Thanks guys!

Rita felt that I must've been feeling cooped up in the house too long yesterday and offered to come pick me up and take me to lunch at the diner.  Yummy gyro!  Thanks Reet!

And then there's Max, one of my very first students who graduated years ago, but still keeps in touch with Mr. M. from time to time.  Max just happened to have a free afternoon yesterday and called to see if I was doing anything.  He ended up coming by to hang out for awhile.  He took me to the store to buy some cigs and when we got back I had noticed that my lawn needed cutting.  Within five minutes, Max was there, mowing away.  I was truly touched!

So, yeah, I'd say I'm a pretty lucky person to have such great people in my life.  And I get to thank them all in this special, sappy way that I have at my disposal.  While I'm at it, thanks to my other pals Laura Kim, Terry, Kim and Lori for taking the time to check in on me.  Who knows, maybe your turn to help is coming...  Lol!

Okay, I've gotta get up now and move around.  Man, recuperating is a bitch!

Image Source: lukeyishandsome(dot)com



SIRIUS|XM Radio


No comments:

Post a Comment