Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Writing Wednesday, May 23rd, 2012

Well it's been two weeks once again since my last WW, but at this time last week I was in the hospital after my surgery, so at least I've got an excuse.  In the past week that I've been home recuperating, I've been doing a lot of writing, mostly for Examiner.  Check it out:



Gay Pride is Coming

June is Gay Pride month.  Ever since the Stonewall riots in June of 1969, gay people have stood loud and proud every year to commemorate the event and show some unity in the face of hatred and discrimination, something I feel very strongly about.  New York City, the birthplace of the gay pride movement has the biggest such celebration in the world, and Long Island's is not too shabby either.  Here's the lowdown on both events:


NYC Pride Week 2012 events


R.I.P. Donna Summer

Just six days ago, iconic singer Donna Summer lost a bout with cancer, something no one really even knew she had.  Donna Summer was one special singer.  She was music royalty, and she was one of my favorite divas.  I've been paying tribute to Donna ever since, both with a week's worth of Songs of the Day and some pieces I penned.  Currently I'm planning just one more piece, which has yet to be written.  I'm just waiting for both the time to do so and deciding where to put it.  

So yes, the Donna Summer tributes will continue, at least for a little while.  I think she's worth it, and I believe the coverage and tributes to her have been too little for such an icon.  She was low key, but she deserves a bit higher key for all she's given us in the form of great music.  Here's a tribute piece I penned in honor of her and the gay community that loved her so much:


And here are some great Donna Summer tunes that have been featured this week:







Defending My Own

Most of my readers know that I am a teacher, and a proud one at that.  After seeing yet another newspaper article about teacher jobs being cut in the latest round of budget votes, I was motivated to write this piece:

Summer Concerts at Jones Beach

The Jones Beach Theater in Wantagh, Long Island is my favorite place to see a concert.  Every summer, the theater puts on a summer festival of the best of music old and new and this year's schedule can be found here, of course with a little commentary by me:


New Coasters

Roller coasters and theme parks are a big part of this John's world, and here's a rundown of the newest thrill rides coming to an amusement park near you:


There's been plenty more posted here on John's World, but I think I've already given you enough to read, lol.  If you like, just take a look at the sidebar to check out some new coaster videos, a hateful speech against gays by a North Carolina pastor, an obituary for the Bee Gees' Robin Gibb, who passed away last Sunday, and much more.  As always, thanks for checking in with me!  have a great Thursday!

Image Sources:

Gay Pride - J. Myers

Donna Summer - stereogum 

Jones Beach Theater - gatewayinnlongisland

Verbolten, Busch Gardens Williamsburg - MSNBC

No comments:

Post a Comment