Friday, May 11, 2012

Yahoo Voices Spotlight: Gay Marriage

Since the subject of gay marriage has come up in such a big way this week, I thought that now would be a good time to highlight some of the pieces I've written on the subject.  I've said many times before that I myself am not a big fan of the institution of marriage of any kind, but I feel strongly that all people, regardless of sexual orientation or otherwise, should have the legal right to be joined together in the legally recognized union commonly known as marriage.

Why Same Sex Marriage is a Civil Rights Issue

The hotly contested issue of same sex marriage is a legal one, NOT a religious one as many would have you believe.  This piece lays out all of the rights that are afforded legally wedded couples that are denied to those unlawfully permitted to do so.  The consequences of the denial of such rights are far reaching in scope and affect many loving couples in sometimes heartbreaking ways, as you can see in Why we need same sex marriage: It could happen to you.



The Lovings and the Gay Marriage Debate

Here is a story of a time when another type of marriage was a hotly contested issue, that between people of differing races.  Yes, it's hard to believe, but one day in our history a black person could not marry a white person, nor a Latino, nor an Asian.  This tale of one couple, ironically named Loving, lived through that mess and found themselves fighting for their love all the way to the Supreme Court.

A Respectful Dialogue Resurfaces: Gay Marriage and the Traditional Family

A couple of years ago, a fellow writer and I published a series of articles arguing, in a respectful manner, all issues relating to homosexuality.  She, a Christian woman, and I, a gay man, had very different views on the subject,, and we went back and forth for weeks, making arguments and defending our stances, and the series was very well received.  This article came up after our series had concluded, but once again I had a lot to say on the subject.  (You can check out a synopsis of Becky Whittemore and my series, titled  "Understanding Homosexuality, A Respectful Dialogue Between Opposing Viewpoints," right here.


Some New York Pride as Marriage Equality Bill Passes

On June 24th, 2011, New York, my home state, became only the 6th state to legalize same sex marriage.  It was a joyous and proud moment for the people of New York, and the ensuing Pride Parade in New York City just two days later was awesomely well-attended and wonderful.   Also check out Walls Come Tumbling Down, my reaction blog post from that very historic day.

On a lighter note...

Music Suggestions for a Gay Wedding in New York

Once the Marriage Equality Bill had passed, I just knew that folks would be lining up to plan their weddings, right?  So since I'm a former disc jockey, I came up with some music suggestions for all of my LGBT brethren to play at their weddings.

Parity in Presents

This one is not necessarily specific to gay marriage, but a sort of comical rant on a condition that most gay people have had to live with since the dawn of time.  With all of those gift-giving occasions that straight people throw starting with weddings, then baptisms, showers, communions and the like, we gay people have always found ourselves at the short end of the stick when it comes to getting presents.



I scream, you scream, we all scream for....Ben and Jerry's?

I just had to include this blog post about those good old Vermont ice creamers repackaging one of their ice cream flavors, Apple-y Ever After, in support of same sex marriage.  Check out the post right here.

Well, that's all she, or rather he, wrote folks.  As always, I appreciate your visits to my little space here on the Web...have a good one!

The Lovings Image Source: blendeunity


Unlimited Music, Everywhere. Try Rdio for Free.


No comments:

Post a Comment