Tuesday, July 24, 2012

I Love the 90's Song of the Day - My Heart Will Go On (Titanic) - Celine Dion


The year was 1997, and during that year and the years that followed, nearly everybody on the planet saw the James Cameron film, Titanic, featuring Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet.  The tragic romance aboard the ill-fated ship between a penniless Jack Dawson and young, high-class Rose DeWitt Bukater struck a chord with movie audiences worldwide, making it one of the best loved movies of all time.


The film was nominated for a whopping 14 Academy Awards and won 11 of them, including Best Picture, tying a record set by the 1959 film Ben Hur. Titanic was the first movie ever to reach the billion dollar mark, earning over $2 billion, and it remained the highest grossing film ever until Cameron's Avatar surpassed it twelve years later.


The song, "My Heart Will Go On," was almost as huge a success as the film, selling 15 million copies worldwide, and becoming Celine Dion's most successful single ever.  The theme song fits the movie perfectly, and anyone who was around back in 1997-98 heard this #1 tune on the radio probably more often than they'd care to remember, and on a cruise to Bermuda in 2000 I simply could not get the song out of my own head for seven straight days. Enjoy and Happy Tuesday!

Oh, and there were so many couples on the boat, too, emulating that memorable scene between DiCaprio and Winslet towards the front of the ship.  I bet that still happens!




My Heart Will Go On - Titanic



Note - Just recently, a commemorative 3D version of the movie hit theaters nationwide for a limited time in honor of the 100th anniversary of the Titanic disaster, April 15, 1912.  I'm sorry I missed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment