Sunday, September 16, 2012

Song of the Day - There But for the Grace of God Go I - Machine


Today's Song of the Day is pure disco, and oh so good!  I posted it once before, along with another, more modern song (Stand Up, by Love Tribe) that sampled its music track.  Musically, the track has a great hook and is very dance-able.  And lyrically...well, there's a reason I put this up on a Sunday! The situation described in the song is very specific, but I think we can all relate to appreciating our lives while looking at the lives of others.  No matter how bad you think you've got it, someone else has it worse!




There But for the Grace of God Go I (Original Version) - There But for the Grace of God Go I


There But for the Grace of God Go I

Carlos and Carmen Vidal
just had a child
A lovely girl with a crooked smile
Now they gotta split
Cause the Bronx ain't fit
For a kid to grow up in
Let's find a place, they say
Somewhere far away
With no blacks, no Jews and no gays

There but for the grace of God go I..

Poppy and family 
Left the dirty streets
To find a quiet place overseas
And year after year
The kid has to hear
The do's and don'ts of the dears
And when she's ten years old
She digs that rock and roll
But poppy bans it from home

There but for the grace of God go I...

Baby, she turns out to be
A natural freak
Popping pills and smokin' weed
And when she's sweet sixteen
She packs her things and leaves
With a man she met on the street
Carmen starts to bawl
Bangs her head to the wall
Too much love is worse than none at all

There but for the grace of God go I



No comments:

Post a Comment