Friday, October 12, 2012

Flashback Friday Song of the Day - My Jamaican Guy - Grace Jones


In just two weeks, the one and only Grace Jones will be performing a one night only show at the Roseland Ballroom in New York City and I am hoping to be there. For those of you who aren't familiar with Grace Jones, she is a Jamaican American singer/actress/model whose androgynous and stark appearance made her quite the thing back in the late 70's/early 80's, during which she famously spent many a night at Studio 54 and then making a foray on to the music scene, scoring several dance/club hits, such as this one.


I'm not sure exactly when I really got into her, but sometime during the mid to late 80's I bought her greatest hits CD and practically burned it out. Several of her songs appear on my "All Time Favorites" list on my iPod, such as La Vie en Rose, Pull Up to the Bumper, I Need a Man, and others, but this one is my all time favorite.


My Jamaican Guy has an awesome, 'Caribbean reggae-dub' sound that was later nicely sampled in LL Cool J's Doin It.  The song's got that island feel and is oh so sexy.  Click the play button below and you'll see what I mean, and stay tuned for more Grace Jones as we get closer to the show.


My Jamaican Guy - 20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best of Grace Jones 

No comments:

Post a Comment