Thursday, October 11, 2012

P!nk's "The Truth About Love" Track Reviews: "The Great Escape"


hot dog


The Great Escape is one of the most tender ballads on The Truth About Love.  The song features a beautiful piano accompaniment to P!nk's heartfelt and compassionate lyric, and is one of my favorite songs on the album.  Until hearing the singer give her own take on what the song is about, I believed it to be someone reaching out to another in the hopes of preventing them from taking their own life, and still the words can take on that meaning:

I can understand how the ages are rough
And they cut you like the tiny slivers of glass
And you feel too much
And you don't know how long you're gonna last,
But everyone you know, is tryina smooth it over,
Find a way to make the hurt go away,
But everyone you know, is tryina smooth it over,
Like you're trying to scream underwater,

But, I won't let you make the great escape,
I'm never gonna watch you checkin' out of this place
I'm not gonna lose you
'Cause the passion and pain
Are gonna keep you alive someday
Gonna keep you alive someday


The singer herself admitted that most people have thought the song to be about suicide, and she readily encourages people to take what they will from it, but then she goes on to explain her own intentions with her words:

"For me it's about how I think the entire world is numbed down on something, whether it's anti-depressants or anti-anxiety or ...it seems like there's a pill for everything now."

And with that, it all makes sense.  She laments that too many people escape their emotions, and life, through these drugs, and experiencing the ups and downs is the very essence of living.  "I personally need my highs, need my lows...I want to feel.  I want to sit in my misery sometimes and just cry."  I couldn't agree more!  

The Great Escape is a great song, and like several other tracks on the album (as well as the cover itself), there's a certain likeness to a more vintage, 60's sound, perhaps something that Carole King might've done. In any case, I think this would make a great single!  Check out the lyric video for The Great Escape.

Check out P!nk's take on the song on P!nk's Page, and check out other The Truth About Love track reviews:


Blow Me (One Last Kiss)

Try

Just Give Me a Reason

True Love

How Come You're Not Here

Slut Like You

The Truth About Love

Beam Me Up

Walk of Shame

Here Comes the Weekend

Where Did the Beat Go?

Stay tuned for the rest...

And you can purchase the digital album on iTunes or the CD at Amazon here:


The Truth About Love - P!nk



Lyrics taken from Song Meanings


No comments:

Post a Comment