Thursday, November 1, 2012

Tri-State Weather Sandy Coverage; Helping Out

Today was Hump Day, but not really.  After what has now been three days of witnessing all of the horrifying things that Sandy has done to the Northeast, I can say for sure that there are plenty of people with a grand hump still far ahead of them.  I've really been too busy to keep track of all the goings on, all the stories, but later on this evening I finally got a chance to turn on the TV to do a little catching up, and the magnitude of what happened just seems to be getting bigger and bigger as words and pictures spread.

Tri-State Weather on Facebook

Photographs speak much louder than any words I can use to describe what's happened and report on the stories that are as yet unfolding.  One of the ways I've kept up on things has been on the Facebook page of Tri-State Weather.  They post regularly with photos and updates on the devastation.  Here are some photos from today:

Photo: Hylan Blvd in Staten Island, NYC
Hylan Blvd., Staten Island

Photo: Tree hit house north of Benson Road in NY
Photo by Dina Armstrong
Somewhere in NY

Photo: World Famous Coney Island, NYC
Coney Island, Brooklyn

Photo: Bridge on Front St and Elizabeth Ave in Elizabeth, New Jersey.
Bridge in Elizabeth, New Jersey

Photo: Lindenhurst, Long Island, NY 
Photo by Kristen Thorne
Lindenhurst, Long Island

Photo: Picture from Gov Cuomo while he toured damage in Breezy Point, NY where more then 100 homes were destroyed by fires caused by Hurricane Sandy
Breezy Point, Queens

These are but just a few of the many horrific scenes that exist in the wake of Frankenstorm 2012.  I'm sure when all is said and done, this one's going to break the record books for cost.  I can't imagine what the final price tag will be. If you're a member of Facebook, I highly suggest subscribing to the posts of Tri-State Weather.  They've got updates and information on all things related to the disaster.

Helping Out

As I watched the news tonight, I couldn't help but think of how fortunate I've been and that there are so many people out there who are suffering and will continue to suffer for a long time to come.  I've long spoken of the virtues of volunteering, and I think now is as good a time as any to pitch in.  I started looking at some websites that carry information regarding where and how people can help.   

I'm hoping to put a more comprehensive piece together soon for Examiner, but in the meantime I'm including some links to sites that list places where volunteers can find places to pitch in.  They provide information on all sorts of help that is needed both immediately and in the weeks to come.  Check them out:




If you can, please consider donating some of your time to help out a neighbor.  No matter how big or small, the reward will be greater than anything you could imagine!  As always, thanks for reading!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment