Monday, December 31, 2012

R.I.P. Godmother


I just wanted to pause for a moment to mark the passing of a dear aunt, Marion Randazzo, who was also my godmother.  Aunt Marion passed away suddenly yesterday at her home in Florida and the news comes with great sadness.  Throughout my life I never really got to see her much, usually once or twice a year.  She and my Uncle Bob, my mom's brother, lived in Westchester when I was growing up and then moved around to different places for the past couple of decades, so visits with them were infrequent, but both my aunt and uncle are the kind of people you were always glad to see.

I've long been a non-believer in 'till death do we part.'  I've always held the conviction that two people are never really meant to be together forever, but there are rare exceptions, like my aunt and uncle.  Aunt Marion and Uncle Bob were no doubt soul mates.  I never once saw them fight, and they were always, always together, just the two of them, throughout stays in Connecticut, North Carolina, and Florida.  No matter what the circumstance, you always knew that they were happy together, and I always admired them for that.

So my Aunt Marion...what can I say about her?  The first thing that comes to mind is her cooking.  She could cook like nobody's business, and two of her specialties from what I can recall, were her lasagna and her cheesecake.  In fact, I use a couple of her tricks in my own lasagna, which I just made last week. (Yum!)  Oh, and she also taught me how to make carrots, which I hate, eatable...(maple syrup!).

Other than that, Aunt Marion was just an all around great person, sweet, caring and always with a smile and a good word for everybody. I will miss her!  So that's it...I wish I had a photo of her to post here, but I don't, so the little poem above will have to suffice.  Rest in peace Aunt Marion, and thank you for being you!

No comments:

Post a Comment