Sunday, December 16, 2012

Song of the Day - Empty Garden - Elton John

xxxxxxxx

It's Sunday morning, the one morning of the week that I look forward to making myself breakfast and sitting down to read the Sunday news, only today's paper wasn't an enjoyable one to read. As I turned to page 4, I immediately began to cry. Inevitably, the majority of coverage in the paper this morning was about the Connecticut school shootings on Friday and on that page, and the three following, they profiled the victims, whose names were released yesterday. The children were profiled first.

Noah Pozner, aged 6

There's so much I could say right now, but to me it wouldn't make an iota of a difference. I am not a parent, but I am a teacher, and the tragedy that happened on Friday hits me especially hard. I can't imagine so heinous an act that has ever been perpetrated. It's horrible enough when innocents perish for no reason, but babies? My heart is broken and I cannot imagine what their families are going through. May they find peace in knowing that we all grieve with them.

Olivia Engel, aged 6 

This song was written and performed by Elton John in memory of his good friend, John Lennon, who was slain in December 1980 at the hands of another psychopath with a gun. Once again, this is dedicated to the slain in Newtown, Connecticut. May you all rest in peace!

 

Empty Garden (Hey, Hey Johnny) - Greatest Hits 1976-1986


No comments:

Post a Comment