Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Black History Month Song of the Day - I Didn't Mean to Turn You On - Cherrelle



The 1980's was a great time for R&B music, and here is one of my favorite singers from that era.  Cherrelle never really hit the mainstream, making Billboard's Hot 100 only three times (I Didn't Mean to Turn You On (#79), Saturday Love (#26) and Never Knew Love Like This (#28)...the latter two were duets with Alexander O'Neal), but she fared much better on the magazine's R&B chart, with 13 charting singles between 1984 and 1999.

Cherrelle's cousin, Pebbles, was another R&B star from the decade who fared better than her on the pop charts, though to me there was really no comparison.  Simply put, I still love Ms. Cherrlle's music and I still find myself poring through my favorite album of hers, the classic Affair.  My ex, Joe, is the only other person in the world who shares my love for the R&B diva, and many of her songs would surely make the soundtrack of our relationship.

I Didn't Mean to Turn You On was the singer's first single, and it hit #8 on the R&B chart and #6 on the Dance chart when it was released in 1984.  Late British singer Robert Palmer remade the song in 1986 and had a top ten hit with it, but I undoubtedly think the original is way better.  Check it out...


RETRO CENTRIC// Cherrelle "I Didn't Mean To Turn You On" from Centric TV on Vimeo.






No comments:

Post a Comment