Friday, March 8, 2013

Thousands of sharks off Florida's coast force shutdown of beaches

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...


black tipped shark

A report came out today from the Palm Beach area where thousands of black tip and spinner sharks were spotted just off the edge of the beach earlier this week.  The toothy dominions of the sea are on their yearly migration northward towards the coast off the Carolinas.  The sighting caused officials to close three area beaches.  A sight like this is hardly rare among these parts, and just reaffirms my own fear of swimming in the ocean.

“If you are looking at swimmers along the beach line and you look at pictures of these sharks, the sharks are right there," Florida University graduate student Shari Tellman told CBS.  She said. "These swimmers may or may not know that. But if they did they probably wouldn't be in the water.”

I know I wouldn't be.  Ever since seeing the movie Jaws back in the late 70's, I've been terrified at the prospect of swimming with sharks.  When I was a kid, I always loved scary movies, you know, vampires and werewolves, Frankenstein and the mummy, but I always knew they weren't real, but when I saw that one I knew that being attacked by a shark was way more real than getting bitten by a vampire.  



That movie gave me nightmares for weeks, and in a Yahoo article, I dubbed it The Scariest Movie of All Time.  All of these sharks in Florida follow a deadly great white attack in New Zealand just last week and remind us all to be wary when entering the territory of these voracious predators of the deep.





No comments:

Post a Comment