Monday, August 5, 2013

Saying Goodbye to Splash


Wow, it is almost 11:30 p.m. on Sunday and I have not slept, well really slept, since Friday night. It's hard to believe, really, even for me, and I'm still pretty wide awake.  You see, after writing that post yesterday, Is It Me?: An Introduction, I've just been all out of sorts, and I drank one too many cups of coffee yesterday, including a large one from Dunkin Donuts on my way home from Splash.


Splash, yes, that's the reason for this post.  Last night was the last Saturday I would ever have the chance to go and so I couldn't miss it.  For any of you who've ever followed me over the years, you all know how I've enjoyed my Splash Saturdays (and Tuesdays, and Thursdays, and Fridays...) over the past years, and even from when before I was single, Splash was always fun.

I know that to a lot of people it became, with its fame, a kind of a hokey, touristy place, the kind that tourists go to when they come to NY, but still, despite the touristy type that goes there, it's been fun for me going there over the past five years.  I have a lot of good memories of the place, like getting to know my little Asian group of co-clubbers, dancing up a storm on my own or with complete strangers on many a night, making friends and meeting people, the Madonnathon last year, and meeting Domingo, too!



The place was very packed in last night, just like in the club's heyday.  There were so many people there that I almost yearned for a Saturday night like the ones I experienced there ever since XL opened last year.  It was too crowded to really have a great time.  Apparently, I wasn't the only one taking in the old place just one last time.  There wasn't much room on the dance floor, and it felt like a typical night at Splash just a couple of years ago.  The music was thumping with DJ's Steven Sidewalk and Hector Fonseca and the crowd, and the male dancers, were bumping and grinding right along.

My bartender was there, too.  I don't know why, but I can never remember his name.  I met him a few years back when he worked downstairs and he had his own crowd of customers, not because of his looks, but for his pleasant character.  As always, he greeted me with a fist bump and a smile and poured my drink without me even having to order it. What a truly nice guy, and with a good memory to boot!  I didn't get a chance to ask him, but I'm hoping he's going to XL with the rest of the Splash staff.

That's my bartender, the larger one towards 
the back.  I know it's not a very good picture, but hey!

Throughout the evening, I couldn't help but feel a little sad that this was all coming to an end.  It really is the end of an era in New York.  I still may try to get there just one more night this week. I'm afraid I'll be a few hundred miles away next Saturday when they have their final sendoff, which I'm sure will be way bigger than last night.  Who knows what's in store?  Weeknights are a different kind of fun, anyway, so for me I still want to spin around on that dance floor one more time.  I didn't really get to do that last night.

So here's a big thank you to Splash bar for giving me (and many others) a place to let loose a little and meet some nice people along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment