Friday, December 20, 2013

John's World Top 30 Dance/Club Songs of 2013, Part 1: #'s 30-21

Happy New Year 2014 to all of my fellow dance music fans.  For the third year in a row I've decided to tackle my 30 favorite dance/club songs of the year 2013.  Please keep in mind that though I've checked out a lot of other top dance song lists for the year, my tastes are different and unique to me, and so the songs you see here may or may not be included in what the 'experts' say. 

Like last year, I will be posting these in three separate posts of ten songs, in descending order.  As always, comments are appreciated.  And here we go...


#30 - Don't You Worry Child - Swedish House Mafia

I had a tough time including this one in my countdown because I never really loved this song for whatever reason, but it was and is still very popular amongst many people I know.  Take a listen...


Swedish House Mafia - Don't You Worry Child... by SwedishHouseMafia-Official

#29 - Clarity - Zedd

Here's another very popular dance tune from 2013 that I'm not all that fond of, though this one I liked enough to download.  I even made it Song of the Day back in July.


#28 - Controversy - Natalia Kills

I'm not exactly sure how popular Natalia Kills is here in the U.S., but I think she's got a knack for making great pop music, sometimes with a little dance flavor and sometimes with a little rock.  This tune, featuring a little bit of both, was released as her 2nd album Trouble's  "buzz single," though I don't have any idea what that means.  The song is instantly infectious...check it out...

Drink the Kool-Aid
Don't drink the Kool-Aid

 
Natalia Kills - Controversy 2012 by elbellavistas

#27 - Far Away From Home - will.i.am, featuring Nicole Sherzinger

This is the kind of song that should have been a single.  The 14th track on will's #willpower is my absolute favorite track off the album and I've featured it more than once as Song of the Day.  Click the link within this snippet to check it out.




#26 - Wild - Jessie J

Having bought her first album, Who You Are, I was unimpressed, except for the pleasant Domino.  The Brit soul singer had fallen off my radar until a friend introduced me to Wild, a funky, thumping tune that I absolutely love.  Check out Wild.



#25 - Woman's World - Cher

Ah, the return of Cher!  The release of this debut song from her highly anticipated, long time coming album Closer to the Truth. Had I had the time to do it, I would have done a track by track review of the legendary diva's latest, her first in ten years, but you might have seen a lot of griping.  The album, and this song, wore on me really quickly, although I do give the song merit for being a mindless, yet alluring club tune.

#24 - Applause - Lady Gaga

Though not an utter disappointment, this opening single to ARTPOP was not nearly as good as the debut to the Born This Way album, though the song did grow on me with time.


Lady Gaga - "Applause" by thesevensees

#23 -Bangerz - Miley Cyrus

One of my favorite albums of the year comes from the controversial Miley Cyrus, whose Bangerz album is a nice collection of power ballads and clubby tunes.  The title track to the album is funky and fast, and I absolutely love it!  If only YouTube would allow me to post videos here, this one would have surely been featured.


#22 - Scream and Shout - will.i.am, featuring Britney Spears

It's Britney bitch!

Though this advance release from will.i.am's #willpower album came out late in 2012, it really gained steam and became one of the top club tunes of the year.  When you hear this in the club, ya gott turn the sh** up!  Check it out below:



#21 - Give It 2 U - Robin Thicke, with Kendrik Lamar

Rounding out the first ten of our top 30 countdown is Robin Thicke's follow-up to the immensely popular Blurred Lines.  Give It 2 U is another funky tune that hearkens back to a former time and because its predecessor was played out too much, I actually prefer this one.  Check it out...

Robin Thicke Feat 2 Chainz & Kendrick Lamar - Give It 2 U - Clean (Extendz) from DJ Diztracted on Vimeo.

So there you have it, #'s 30 to 21 on my countdown for the best dance tunes of 2013.  Stay tuned to the top 20 dance music songs of 2013 coming soon, and in the meantime, check out the past two years of great dance songs and relive some fond memories:

2012



2011




No comments:

Post a Comment