Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Happy Birthday Diana Ross

Sometime during the day I saw a post on Facebook wishing Diana Ross a happy birthday.  For anyone who knows me or has followed my writing over the years, you know how I love Miss Ross.  She was my very first diva and the one person who helped me to learn that dancing is not only good exercise, but the ultimate freedom of expression for me.  Years ago I would have known that today was her birthday, but she really keeps out of the spotlight these days and you know me and music...there's just so much to love I don't always get around to the older stuff.



Every once in awhile, though, I get into a mood to listen to her.  Diana Ross' catalog is just so expansive, from her days with the Supremes to her early solo years to the disco days and her 80's RCA days and even a little beyond.  Like all music, her songs bring me back to places in my life and I am grateful to have had the experience of knowing her music.



So here's one of my first Diana Ross songs, from the first ever album of hers I ever bought, diana.  At the time, the song was a major radio hit and I was giving a new kind of music a try, because beforehand I was a disco sucks t-shirt wearing, KISS loving rock fan.  Within the first few listens I was in love, and it changed my musical tastes that remain to this day.  So Happy Birthday Diana, and thanks for the music!

Upside down
Boy you turn me
Inside out 
And round and round




Check out some pieces I've written on Diana, too...

John's World



Yahoo Contributor Network





No comments:

Post a Comment