Tuesday, March 4, 2014

New Wave Month Song of the Day - Do You Really Want to Hurt Me - Culture Club

I can't have a New Wave Month without Boy George and Culture Club, can I?  When George and the gang first came along with this song in 1982, it was like nothing anyone had ever seen or heard before.  I remember a classmate of mine at Fordham, a Puerto Rican dude named Ritchie, absolutely loved their sound and turned me on to them, even though I probably would have eventually anyway.


Over the span of the next three years, the band exploded onto the pop scene, amassing eight top 20 hits here in the U.S. and filling up plenty of my music listening time.  Though the guys disbanded amidst controversy, Boy George has remained on the scene on and off ever since, both as a solo artist and a very good disc jockey.  Check out their first big hit, Do You Really Want to Hurt Me, and stay tuned for more Culture Club as the month wears on...




No comments:

Post a Comment