Monday, March 3, 2014

New Wave Month Song of the Day - The Metro - Berlin

I'm alone sitting with my empty glass
My four walls follow me through my past
I was on a Paris train I emerged in London rain
And you were waiting there swimming through apologies




I hope you've been enjoying New Wave Month on John's World so far.  Between The B-52s and Frankie Goes to Hollywood, we've already explored some new wavey, danceable goodness, and we're not going to stop there.

I remember searching for the perfect words
I was hoping you might change your mind
I remember a soldier sleeping next to me
Riding on the metro


Berlin was an American new wave band featuring singer Terri Nunn, who are most well known for their 1986 power ballad smash, Take My Breath Away from the movie Top Gun.  Before that song put them way into the mainstream, however, their sound was much different, with typical, quick-paced synthesizers that epitomized the sounds associated with "new wave."



Here's one of the band's earlier hits, from way back in 1981.  Ooh, I always loved The Metro.  There's just something alluring about this tune, whether it's the almost melancholy feel to the music, or the vivid imagery of the lyrics.  The song wasn't too popular here in the States, it only hit #58 on the charts, but it was always a favorite of mine and I hope you'll enjoy it, too!


Berlin - The Metro from ETV on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment