Friday, March 7, 2014

New Wave Month Song of the Day - Venus - Bananarama

I was chatting with my buddy Rich last night and I asked him what he thought I should put up as Song of the Day today.  I started mentioning several new wave songs and artists I thought he might know...Bronski Beat's Smalltown Boy, New Order, Eurythmics,etc.  He was noncommittal about everything until I mentioned Bananarama.



What song?  Venus?

YES!!!

Yes, Bananarama was one of my favorite groups during the era, and Venus was pretty darned big, their biggest hit ever here in the U.S.  The group was, and still is, a trio of British gals who had a unique blend to their voices and amassed many hits both here and abroad.  In fact, I just learned that the girls hold a Guinness World Record for most charting singles ever by an all-female band.  Pretty impressive!

My introduction to the trio was with their 1983 hit, Cruel Summer, and that was the beginning of a long list of Bananarama songs I would eventually come to love.  You will surely see more of them here during New Wave Month, but for now here's a Bananarama staple.  Oh, I remember spending lots of time on the dance floor dancing to this one, a remake of the classic Shocking Blue tune.  Enjoy and Happy Friday!


VENUS from Solid-Ink on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment