Tuesday, May 6, 2014

A Song of the Day, for Dad - Beam Me Up - P!nk

There's a whole nother conversation going on
In a parallel universe
Where nothing breaks and nothing hurts

There's a waltz playing frozen in time
Blades of grass on tiny bare feet
I look at you and you're looking at me

Five years ago today, my dad left this world.  He'd had a sudden heart attack a few days earlier and had gone without oxygen for more than twenty minutes between the house and the hospital.  He really died that night, May 2nd, but machines kept his lifeless body breathing for four days until my mom, myself and my siblings decided to put him to rest. It was the 6th of May.


Could you beam me up
Give me a minute
I don't know what I'd say in it
I'd probably just stare
Happy just to be there
Holding your face



It's hard to believe that five years have passed since that day.  Though none of us realized it at the time, dad's passing caused an unexpectedly monumental change in all of us, and we've all felt the gap this quiet, gentle man left within our family.  Quite a thing, death is.  It makes you think about a person in a whole new light sometimes, in a way you'd wish you had before.  We all had our issues with our father over the years.  I went several years as a young man not really speaking with him.

No one's perfect, that's for sure, but in the end we all saw him, and still do, as someone who deep down loved us and was proud of us no matter what, and like many parents, he learned as he went.  So yeah dad, I'd love for you to beam me up, even just for a minute, just so I can give you a hug and tell you I love you and that I am proud to be your son.

No comments:

Post a Comment