Sunday, October 12, 2014

An Affair to Remember



Leave it to the gays to make weddings something again!

That was my friend Al, right before the ceremony last night at the wedding of Daved and Tom.  It was the first of what I know to be several gay weddings I will attend and it was what one might expect in such a celebration, unique and decidedly memorable.  This was a wedding I wasn't invited to...I don't know Daved and Tom that well yet...but my friend Kyle asked me to come as his guest and I am glad he did.

The wedding was very Gatsby, through and through, from the attire to the decor to the aura.  The celebration took place at the Suffolk Theater in Riverhead and right from the start it felt like you were at not just any ordinary wedding reception, but a grand affair.  Guests needed to check in at the box office and get their table tickets before entering the venue, which was done up very elegantly.  Tables were set up in levels down towards the stage and beautiful flowers and lighting providing a beautiful backdrop.

  

It's a beautiful night
We're looking for something dumb to do
Hey baby
I think I want to marry you

The two lovebirds both have a background in singing, and if you didn't know it, that fact became evident at the start of the ceremony as the sounds of Bruno Mars' Marry You came blaring out of the speakers and Tom and Daved surprised everyone by entering the room singing.  It was a fun start to a special evening.  


Daved and Tom's wedding was definitely an affair to remember.  Great food, great music and great friends all in one place, all having the time of their lives, and I am so happy I got to be a part of it.  In this day and age, it seems so natural to see so many people celebrating the love two people have for one another, regardless of their respective genders.  It's almost incredulous that this hasn't been more mainstream to this point, but regardless gay marriage is now a part of life here in this society and like everything else, it seems, the gays will be setting a new standard for theirs and 'traditional' wedding celebrants for years to come!  Here's to Daved and Tom...may you share many years of wedded bliss!


















No comments:

Post a Comment