Monday, November 24, 2014

A New Decade Awaits


In just one week I will be celebrating a birthday that's long been on my horizon and I am not looking forward to it.  You see, I was born on November 30th, 1964, and so next Sunday I will be turning, gulp, 50.


I'm getting a feeling that a lot of what I've been going through these past few weeks, being down, Ziggy and all that, has had something to do with this birthday.  While I'm not the only person I know who's going to be that same age, I am probably the only one who's not embracing it, or at least bothered by it.  

I tell my students all the time to enjoy life while you're living it because you're suddenly going to wake up one day and find that you're 30 or 40, and you're going to say to yourself, "holy shit, what the hell happened to my life?"  Just like you do on a Sunday night while reflecting on the weekend that just passed.  Well, 5-0!  Jeez!


Despite that panicked look on my face, I don't look 50, do I?  I don't feel it.  As a matter of fact, someone asked me just last year at my friend Sean's 40th birthday party when I was turning 40.  If we were at a bar I would've bought her a drink.  


So anyway, whether I like it or not, here comes 50.  A new decade of my life awaits.  Let's hope I can keep up my youthful looks for at least a few more years...maybe catch someone before it's too late!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment