Sunday, December 21, 2014

Thinking Aloud...The Need to Just Do It!

Today is Sunday, the second official day of Christmas vacation.  For whatever reason, this is the second year in a row that we've had a whole two weeks off even though Christmas isn't until next Thursday.  I am definitely not complaining, though.  Last year my two weeks was spent in Chile (and I wish I was going again!), but this time around I've got nothing but open space ahead of me and a mind full of optimism for the things I'm going to get done...that is, if I just do it...


So far, this vacation has been more of the same disappointing time I can remember from every other vacation I ever get, but it's only been a day and a little bit.  I often dread free time from work, even though I get to sleep late and I am free from the stresses of my job, and that's because of the loneliness I feel when I'm alone in the house.  I've mentioned before that I like solitude,, but don't really feel great about being that way and I don't like solitude all of the time.  Though I try, it's hard to not get a little down and a little complacent.  

When I'm feeling like this, it's hard to focus on things I should be doing, like getting things done around the house or calling some friends who I don't see often.  My best pal Rich is gone for the week and my pal Bobby is leaving on Tuesday.  My buddy Kyle is around, but he's only one person and his work hours make hanging out difficult.  The mindset that comes with the loneliness just makes me want to do nothing, and I waste a lot of time just browsing the Internet.  Not good!


So I've got to do something different...pick myself up from this and start moving.  My friend Ricardo reminded me a couple of weeks back that if you don't change anything, you'll always get the same results.  That is so true, but it's easier said than done.  I had made up my mind to go into the city last night, dancing, by myself like I used to so regularly just a year or so ago.  I know that getting out there again would pick me up, but when the time came to go, I didn't, and I'm not sure why.  So what to do?  I don't know really....maybe I just have to force myself and maybe it'll be better.  One of my favorite sayings is the motto of the Nike company...just do it!  I know that's the answer, but will I?


No comments:

Post a Comment