Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Amster...dam, Part II: Gouda Cheese and Clogs



To discover some of the more traditional Dutch things to be found in the Netherlands, we had to traverse outside of Amsterdam, which is how we began our second day. This day felt less rushed and a bit more relaxed than the first, as we headed by bus towards Volendam, a small, quaint historic seaside town in northern Holland, about a half hour's drive from the city. Before setting off to explore the harbor town, though, we took a quick stop to learn about two tried and true Dutch staples: Gouda cheese and clogs...


Yes, they still make clogs in Holland, and for some strange reason, they make cheese in the same places, too! Somewhere on the road between Amsterdam and Volendam, there was a ruralish area that was home to at least a couple of these cheese/clog shops, and we made a stop at the first one we came upon, I believe it was called Irene's.

A quick check inside by Steve, our tour guide, and Ivan, the tour leader, we were ushered off the bus to watch and learn how both world-famous Gouda cheese and clogs are made.  I have to say, it wasn't as boring as I thought it would be.  The cheese-making demonstration was interesting enough, but the clog maker, I think, missed his calling.  In between shavings and cuts of smallish pieces of wood that would eventually become traditional Dutch shoes, he had the kids laughing with a slick sense of humor and some humorous clog-making demonstrations.

 


After the demonstrations, it was off to the gift shop to browse and purchase, what else...cheese and clogs.  I tell ya, even though this place was in a rural area, they sure knew how to market their goods. Delectable samples of about twenty varieties of Gouda and other cheeses were there for the tasting and the clogs, oh the clogs...even I was tempted.  In the end, though, I was sensible and only purchased several logs of cheese, some of which I gave as gifts and other that I just finished enjoying only yesterday.




Volendam

After the fun and educational stop at the cheese and clog factory, it was off to Volendam, a place my friend Lori had been to on a past trip and highly recommended as one of her favorite spots.  I was excited!  


Volendam was as charming as it was beautiful.  With one main promenade along the waterfront, alongside a marina, dozens of quaint little shops and eateries abound.  For two hours or so, my fellow travelers and I explored all it had to offer, and I think we all enjoyed every minute.  This place is definitely worth a half-day's visit if you ever find yourself in Amsterdam.  Check out the pictures and you'll surely be intrigued by this beautiful place...





I didn't buy clogs, but I tried some on...

Well, that's about it for this turn at a post.  We ended up spending about a half a day exploring the more traditional side of Holland and that morning sticks in my head as one of the highlights of the trip.  Check out my first post on my European adventure below and stay tuned for more...






No comments:

Post a Comment