Saturday, June 20, 2015

An Introduction to Switzerland...Beautiful Zurich!

Before I had gone on this trip to Europe, several people had told me that Switzerland was one of the most beautiful places on Earth.  Pristine mountain lakes, quaint old European cities, and of course the vistas provided by the world-famous Alps.  Well, they weren't kidding!  Though Switzerland wasn't one of the places I was super-looking forward to visiting, it certainly was one of the most memorable...and spectacular!


Our first stop in Switzerland was Zurich, financial capital of the world.  I'd heard that Zurich was a small, unimpressive city, but whoever told me that was dead wrong.  It was indeed small, but the meandering streets and scenic spots dotted the place and I loved it.  

Zurich was merely a pit stop for us on the way to Luzern.  We'd arrived there from Paris early in the day and we only had about four or five hours to explore.  This time, all of us chaperones began our free time together, in search of some much needed sustenance, and not long after leaving the kiddies to their own devices, we found our place, a good old-fashioned authentic German beer garden.

Of course, all I could think of as we sat there at the picnic tables was the Festhaus in Busch Gardens in Virginia (I have to say, they capture the feel of a real beer garden pretty well!).  We spent about an hour enjoying one another's company and feasting on some delicious German sausages and of course, delectable potato salad.

  


Once we were finished with a most enjoyable lunch, I decided to go off on my own to explore Zurich on my own, wandering through the streets, to nowhere in particular, and trying to make the most of my time in the city. Rather than describe the experience, I think that pictures of the things I saw during that time might tell the better story of that time.  Check it out...



























I hope you enjoyed these photos and got a little taste of Zurich at the same time.  Stay tuned for some more posts to come from Switzerland and then our final tour, Italia.  In the meantime, check out these past posts on my European adventure...

















2 comments:

  1. I haven't checked in on you for ages, and open your blog to see Switzerland! Our daughter & family live in Bern, we've visited them several times. Enjoy your European vacation!

    ReplyDelete